Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 3 weeks later...

Im having binding problems and the dealer wants to remove and rebuild the viscous coupler. The solenoid is ok so I can expect the worst. I would rather replace the entire unit with a rebuilt one if I could locate one for less than the 1200.00 bid from subaru.The tranny is fine. Thanks, Ed

there is no viscous center diff, or viscous anything in the automatics.

They use a multi-plate rear clutch pack. That is more then likely what you need. The dealer is going to pull the rear extension housing off the transmission and replace those plates in the clutch pack.

Please see this thread for scans of the AT's AWD system and the rear extension housing & clutch pack.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22885

Well I took it to the dealer and they suggested I change the TPS. I changed the TPS and the torque bind thing went away. I still have a hesitation problem and and exhaust leak at the resonator. I will weld up the broken pipe and think about it. I have no codes. I have changed plugs, wires, pcv valve, air cleaner, cleaned throttle body, ingested carbon remover thru a vacuum port, and have commercial fuel system cleaner in the tank with 92 octane. I put a washer under the knock sensor. After about 1500 rpm it comes alive and recovers its power. Tranny shifting is better except at low rpm. Im open to ideas.

Well I took it to the dealer and they suggested I change the TPS. I changed the TPS and the torque bind thing went away. I still have a hesitation problem and and exhaust leak at the resonator. I will weld up the broken pipe and think about it. I have no codes. I have changed plugs, wires, pcv valve, air cleaner, cleaned throttle body, ingested carbon remover thru a vacuum port, and have commercial fuel system cleaner in the tank with 92 octane. I put a washer under the knock sensor. After about 1500 rpm it comes alive and recovers its power. Tranny shifting is better except at low rpm. Im open to ideas.

I adusted the new tps and the car runs good at idle and still has the hesitation problem. To make things worse I now have an ABS light. I cleaned the sensors and the teeth on the rotor and check the gaps. No luck. I looked for the plug under the dash above the accelerator pedal and couldnt find a 6 conductor test plug to read the abs codes. Does anyone know where it is and what it looks like on a 98 obw ltd? Im beginning to think it has something to do with the viscous coupler. I feel a minor bind that feels kind of like a poor ujoint when driving straight. The rear wheels turn free and all the brake pads and rotors look true. Tranny doesnt always shift down causing lugging. I need to read those codes. Ideas?