Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some questions about the Baja, since I'm thinking of trading in my '99 OBW on one:

First, according to Edmund's the Baja has a temporary spare tire (I'm assuming the same kind of 'donut' spare that the OBW has.) Can this be right? I thought trucks or utility vehicles in general had full size spares? The Forester has a full-size spare, but maybe this is b/c the Forester was designed as an SUV (sort of) while the Baja is a converted OBW?

Second question, is the spare in the Baja located in the same place as it is in the OBW (i.e., under a panel over the rear axle)? It just seems to me that since they 'stretched' the rear end of the OBW in order to make the Baja, they could have made the spare tire carrier big enough for a full size spare.

The reason I'm asking all these spare tire questions is that I'm planning on driving up to Alaska next Summer and there's no way I'm going up there with a little donut spare tire.

Thanks for any input.

BTW, does anyone know of any company besides ARE that makes a "shell" for the Baja? The ARE shell looks pretty sweet, but I like to shop around.

baja_subaru2.jpg

Guest lothar34

If it has a 5-speed, it has to have a full size spare. And if there's room for a full-size spare, I don't see why they wouldn't put one in for the AT-equipped vehicles too. You might wanna call a dealer and check on that. Or maybe somebody who owns one will reply...

it is a temp spare. it is locarted under the bed so you might have room to tuck a full size up in there. To lower it you take a plug out of the bed and turn a crank. I looked at a stick baja this past weekend. temp spare. my old OB that was stick. TEMP SPARE! no iffs ands or buts about it.

My Forester...full size. (5 speed) my old forester...full size (auto.)

Matt

Guest lothar34
it is a temp spare. it is locarted under the bed so you might have room to tuck a full size up in there. To lower it you take a plug out of the bed and turn a crank. I looked at a stick baja this past weekend. temp spare. my old OB that was stick. TEMP SPARE! no iffs ands or buts about it.

My Forester...full size. (5 speed) my old forester...full size (auto.)

Matt

Wouldn't it ruin the center diff to run an MT Baja with a smaller tire?

You would think so.... i wouldn't trust it. Imagine this....the baja has a limited slip center and REAR diff. If you used a "doughnut" on the back you might screw up 2 diffs. :banghead:

I hope you can put a real tire and wheel up under there.....I want to buy a baja in about a year or so.....

Thought for the day. "just say no to temp. spares...."

Matt

Some questions about the Baja, since I'm thinking of trading in my '99 OBW on one:

First, according to Edmund's the Baja has a temporary spare tire (I'm assuming the same kind of 'donut' spare that the OBW has.) Can this be right? I thought trucks or utility vehicles in general had full size spares? The Forester has a full-size spare, but maybe this is b/c the Forester was designed as an SUV (sort of) while the Baja is a converted OBW?

in general yes. it seems that more and more suvs and getting full height donuts.

You would think so.... i wouldn't trust it. Imagine this....the baja has a limited slip center and REAR diff. If you used a "doughnut" on the back you might screw up 2 diffs. :banghead:

Matt

Last time I checked the height of the temp spare it was very close to the real thing.

Yes, it is narrower but inflated to 60 PSI to compesate for it. Sure it is not identical to the full wheel but I venture to say that the difference for the drivetrain is not that great. 0.25" difference in circumference is OK for AWD.

I hope you can put a real tire and wheel up under there.....I want to buy a baja in about a year or so.....

Thought for the day. "just say no to temp. spares...."

Matt

I thought the difference between the M/T and A/T Subarus was that the A/T had the limited slip in the center diff, and the M/T just had a 50/50 split, all the time. Isn't that why the A/T gets better highway mileage under normal conditions?

So, in that case, isn't the issue of the wrong-size-tire-destroying-transmissions moot? I thought that's why only A/T vehicles got the FWD fuze receptacle?

the automatics run a 90/10 split and make adjustments as needed. if it sees a difference (slip or different size tire) it will think the worst and make traction adjustments accordingly. On an automatic you have the electronics that can be "disabled" by using the FWD fuse for only short periods of time. (per my subaru dealer) With a manual tranny you have no electronics to "disable" so you will end up driving around with the clutches trying to lock. Ever drive a 4wd PU in 4wd on a dry road? That is what it is going to feel like and drive like.

Don't let anyone tell you that tire differences don't matter. Back a few years ago my mom had a 92 LS sedan (automatic) that had a bad alignment problem. The garage put 2 new tires on it to go with the 2 in the back that had 50% or better tread of the same brand and size. The car howled and drove really funny. My dad called me and asked to look at the car. I put the FWD fuse in and the howling went away. 3 days later and 2 more new tires later and all was well.

Once a few years ago I had a 90 5 speed wagon that had 2 tires go bad (tread seperation) and I was broke so I bought 2 new tires... Same thing as my moms car it howled and drove funny and when I got 2 more new tires (2 weeks later) all was well

Just my personal experiences...

Matt