Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air intake questions

JWX

ok I put my bottomless intake tray in my RX(the bottom part of the intake box) and I took out the two snorkels (I guess thats what they were) one above the filter and the one below. it sounds sooo much better. but I forgot to plug in the MAF before I fired her up, did I do any damage? and where can I get the maf adapter for a cone filter?

Does this look like it will work:

Ebay

I had cobbled together a 'custom' adapter out of some home depot parts, but I need to replace the filter now. The one I originally used was a $25 APC unit from Advanced Auto. If this item on Ebay will work, it includes the adapter and a filter for $17.95 shipped...

when i had maf i cut and ground the mounting ears off my hot wire

so teh cone filter would slip over the end of the maf ... no adapter looks better

and just barely touches the inside fender

I was thinking about this. I'd have to do rough cuts with a hacksaw and then grind the rest off with a Dremel - but I only have one MAF and I don't want to screw it up.

Hence my interest in this low-buck solution.

Also mounting directly to the MAF creates another issue - mounting the unit itself. With the ears ground off, how did you mount it so it doesn't bang around and ruin the thing?

i got an insert filter for some bigars diesel, and drilled holes around it, build a metal disc, with the square hole in the middle. drilled holes in the metal, to meet up with the holes in the filter. build a gasket to go between the metal and filter, out of a rubber hose, to hold the filter away from the screws in the maf.

of course painted it:brow: and turned it backwards, to suck cold air from my cowl induction style hood.

works good, and could probably be built with a dremmel, or a cutoff tool.

the cone filter i got was around 35 instead of the 50-60 i was finding the "cone" k&n filters marketed to honda owners.

post-193-136027595953_thumb.jpg

Does this look like it will work:

Ebay

Wow! That is cheap. I LIKE! No-one confirmed if it will work but if it's for the Sentra like posted above, it should. You know if you purchased it, tried it and it didn't work, someone on here will come out of the blue and say they knew it wouldn't work because they tried it. :rolleyes:

So anyone? Will this work or not?

Also, does anyone know if it'd fit an XT6?

looks good to me.. well except it goes from round to square :toyota style maf: and suby is round

so outside of a tiny bit of restriction it should work fine

oh correction i think the flapper door maf system is square entry

and the hot wire is round

Yup.. will work.. looks to have the same bolt pattern as a soob.. and having the square hole and round flaring will make it compatible with both Vane and hotwire cars

Welp, I need a new air filter - I bid on one of them. There are like 5-6 auctions going. If no one else buys one, I'll let everyone know how it works out. Auction ends in 13 hours. I hit it for the lowest bid (because I am broke and cheap), so I am going to just ride it out, but I don't expect to get outbid...

Welp, I need a new air filter - I bid on one of them. There are like 5-6 auctions going. If no one else buys one, I'll let everyone know how it works out. Auction ends in 13 hours. I hit it for the lowest bid (because I am broke and cheap), so I am going to just ride it out, but I don't expect to get outbid...

This is cool! Thanks! I have two different intakes on both of my XT6s but just in case I feel like tooling around with another idea, I know I can use this maf piece so I was curious.

I noticed the square vs round hole as well. I wonder how that would affect flow velocity but maybe that's asking for too much. It'd be cool if it could fit. Man, I need an EA81-T or 2-T to play with. :brow:

That E-bay one looks a bit different than the one I had on my old wagon... but then again, that pic might not be of the exact MAF adaptor. If it's for a Sentra GA16DE, it'll work on our MAFs.

Would people be interested if I could get a whole mess of these? I have some close connections in the Nissan community, and I might be able to snag some for cheap.

That E-bay one looks a bit different than the one I had on my old wagon... but then again, that pic might not be of the exact MAF adaptor. If it's for a Sentra GA16DE, it'll work on our MAFs.

Would people be interested if I could get a whole mess of these? I have some close connections in the Nissan community, and I might be able to snag some for cheap.

I took a look at a bunch of their other auctions and they use the same picture for a lot of them...So let's hope it's the right one.