Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter in my 91 Legacy. After installing a filter what wouldn't fit, threatening the lives of a few Advance Auto employees, and getting an ATF conditioning treatment for my hair I got it all back together. I've put 7 quarts in and it still seems to be about a quart low. Is this possible? There are no leaks. The book says it shouldn't take more than about three quarts to fill it back up. The pan was left off overnight which yielded an extra quart from slow dripping. The dipstick is hard to read, fluid will be on the sides and I try to go by whether the closest hole has fluid in it. I check it after it has been driven awhile and with the motor running. It shifts okay, but acts like it could use a little more fluid. I don't want to blow the seals by having too much though.

Thanks

A few years ago, when my wife's 93 legacy tranny started to slip into and out of 1st gear, I put the car up on ramps and performed a tranny service that required 8 quarts on refill. I had left the car drain all day and a little trickle kept coming out for hours. I then measured the fluid in the catch pan and put the same amount back (8 quarts). Anyway, since the overhauled transmission, I've never had to put more than 4.5 quarts back in. By the way, one of the things listed as failing specs during the overhaul was on the itemized list saying: "Inadequate line-pressure, failed specs." I'm not a tranny expert, so I'm assuming that item may have had something to do with me draining so much fluid out.

there is a valve that commonly fails on the side of the transmission. It's some form of anti-drain back valve that keeps fluid from draining out of the torque converter. If this is worn, or not working properly, you'll get more fluid out then what the manual says.

Also, if there's other issues/seals internally that are worn, you'll probably get more fluid out.

One thing my tranny did was when you first start it up in the morning, it wouldn't want to move. I'd have to let it sit for 2 or 3 seconds in gear before it would move. That would seem to coincide with the anti-drain back valve not working, or other issues.

If you have similar symptoms, I'd say it'd be normal to get more fluid out.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go ahead and put another qt in it. I don't really notice any hesitation when pulling out, though when I first start up the shifter is hard to get out of park. I have to pump the brakes while rocking the shifter back and forth a few times before it gets out of park. When I turn off the engine the fluid level goes way up which, I suppose, is normal.

Thanks

You are checking the tranny level correctly aren't you?

You're suppose to warm up the trans, drive it a couple miles. park on level surface, leave the engine running, slowly cylce the gear selector from park to 1st, and then back to park. Then check the fluid level with the car STILL running.

I could never get an accurate reading of my dipstick either! I finally gave up and if I have at least 6-8 qts of fluid in it, I'm fine with it. Been trying this thing for couple years now without getting a clear reading. There always to be one side of the dipstick is wet while the other side is dry (or not as wet) or half of each side is wet and the rest is not as wet (appearing almost dry). Like I said, I finally gave up!!!