Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback 2.5XT Limited 5spd Wagon Test-Drive

The deadline was approaching fast, September 30th. I've had the email sitting in my inbox for weeks that I was still able to test-drive a 2005 Legacy or Outback for the $25 gift card. I had a part on order for the XT, so I figured I'd go do this before my time ran out.

They only had two Legacy GT's, both sedans and autospastics :rolleyes: So in order to drive a turbo 5spd, I ended up taking one of the Outback 2.5XT's for a spin. This one was loaded up to the brim with leather, sunroof, everything. Sticker was a mere $31k, waaaay out of my price range :lol:

I'm not crazy about the raised suspension on the Outback, but for a wagon, it wasn't bad. It was still easy to get in and out. The rear trunk was very nice and accessible, it felt like a very useful vehicle, which I like. For ergonomics, everything felt perfect. I mean perfect. I got in it and immediately felt at home, there's no mistaking it, it's still a Subaru. The A/C and stereo were easily in reach, and the pedals are exactly in the same place as my Legacy, I was able to heel-and-toe just like in my car.

But enough on that, the drive :D. The power is awesome. Even for a fat porky loaded Outback wagon, it still pushes you back in the seat when you get on the gas. It has the obligatory turbo lag about 2000rpm, but thankfully, it's got the torque of the 2.5 to help it along, it's nothing like driving a WRX, which has nothing below 3 grand. The clutch was great, shifter was full of feel and easy to shift. I didn't get a chance to push the handling, I took it down a semi-twisty road but some stupid minivan was in front of me :banghead: From what I could tell though, it handles great. It felt just like my Legacy, and of course my Legacy is a much smaller, lighter car.

So I got my $25 on the way and I finally drove an 05 Legacy/Outback, and came away very, very impressed. If I had anywhere close to that kinda money, I'd probably pony up!

• 3 months later...