Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello i want to start by saying hello to all i have been fallowing this site for a while now.

i have 3 quick probly dumb questions

1. is the 2.5 Sti motor the same as the 2.5 outback motor minus the turbo?

2. does any one have compleet mesurements of a sti engine?

A. can you flip the diff in any subaru gearbox?

B. where can i find an exploded diagram of a subaru gearbox?

Thank you

Fweem

Diff can't be flipped, not easily, or to any effect. Rear diff has a mounting bracket on top; front diff, what would be the point? switch wich tire burns when you throw it in fwd? ;) The sti engine is wayyyyy reinforced to handle the 14 some odd punds of boost they run on it stock, and you could turbo a outback block, but it would be recomended to run lower compresion pistons so you wouldn't have to be running stuff like race fuel all the time, or turning you timing so far back your not getting any more gains...easier to do an sti swap...easier yet to buy an sti....

From what I understand, EJ-25's built prior to '02 will take a moderate amount of forced induction if done carefully, but beginning in '02, the piston design (part#) on the normally aspirated 2.5 was changed to a type which will not tolerate any F/I without fracturing the ring lands.

the STi block, doesnt have an extra bracing between the cylinders, it has bracing between the cyl walls and the deck. The short blocks of the sti and the outback 2.5xt are the same, most of the othr stuff is different though. What do you want the measurements for? If you're planning to put it into another car yes it'll fit.