Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

lightning show at spark plugs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:47 PM

so. my brat is running sluggish and rough.
suspected a vacuum leak but a whole can of carb cleaner revealed nothing except a bunch of pretty colors ;)
fuel filters have been in for a month roughly, this problem is a few days old. started intermittently and is now almost full time. a little more reluctant to occur when the engine's cold but it's starting to happen anyway.
I looked under the hood in the dark and observed some lighting effects around the #1 and #3 plugs (and a little around #2, nothing around #4) and i'm sure they weren't due to the carb cleaner!
I'm guessing that my plugs aren't getting their full amount of juice for some reason but i'm not sure where to go next?

#2 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:58 PM

sounds possibly like you may need new plug wires. possibly worn out boots on em. depending on the last time they were changed, it might not be a bad idea to do it anyway.

#3 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:06 PM

I'd vote for looking at the plug wires, too. But just for grins:grin:, take a look at the spark plugs to see if the gaps too wide or they are totally fouled. Both of which will increase the voltage requirement to fire the plugs, so the spark energy will look for an easier path... like out through aging wires.

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:23 PM

mmm, the wires are 8mm accels less than a year old.. i'll pull a couple plugs in the AM i guess. thanks.

#5 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:49 PM

yeah thats the symptom of bad ( or poorly designed :rolleyes: ) plug wires. poor fit at the ends alowing spark to jump down the plug. dirty or worn out plugs makethe problem worse.

I strongly recomend a new set of ngk plugs and ngk wires. I think you will be happy with the results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users