Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ive had my 91 subaru legacy for almost 6 months and never driven it. I bought it because it needed new head gaskets and my friend is a mechanic. We changed them together, by the book and all. it sat for a couple weeks in peices but it went back together perfectly, we think. It will not run properly after it warms up. The idle is good for appx. a minute, and then become choppy until it eventually dies. After that it wont start good. The temp gauge doest work, and it is showing the same symptoms of as a possible MAF sensor problem or a Ignition coil problem. Both work fine as we checked. We gave in finally and sent it down to the Local Subaru dealer so they could use their diagnostics machines and know-how to fix it for us. No go, they cant even figure it out, all they cuold think of was valve timing and it was fine. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I need to drive this car before the snow flies, whatever help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

I am no expert, but it sounds to me like a fuel problem. Maybe the pump is not able to supply enough to keep it going after its initial cherge to start the engine.

Is the gas in the tank "new" or has it been sitting in there for 6 months ?

I have had terrible problems with lawnmowers when trying to use "old" gas. It is seemingly a common problem, even though I found it hard to believe when I was first told of it.

Partially blocked exhaust could also cause this.

I had a broken/loose baffle plate in my 1.8 DL which caused it to run real bad. New section of exhaust fitted cured the problem immediately.

Good luck.

John