Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Repair Manual For An 87' Brat

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bitterbuffalos

bitterbuffalos

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Bend, Or

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:27 PM

After two months of searching, I recently purchased a 1987 Brat. I have been trying to find a good repair manual for it. I have searched the old posts on the site and have found some conflicting info. on what is a good manual. Can anyone suggest one? Thanks for your help, it is good to be a member of a greater Subaru family again, after my 86' GL died I felt lonely. TMB

lo-res pic of brat
http://www.geocities...alos/mybrat.jpg

#2 wingnwing

wingnwing

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • portland oregon

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:10 PM

check this outfit called Faxon in the bay area. they sell used factory shop manuals I bought one for my 85 gl for $35.00 the books arrived like new condition and now i have the factory spec.

peace

#3 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:01 PM

Try www.half.com and www.amazon.com The search is a bit fussy so try to get the exact name or author of the book. The mind set of the sellers on these sites is that it's a run-of-the-mill used manual that came in a parcel of books they got and not some "rare" book, like they think on eBay (HTKYSA went for over $45. on eBay, I got it on www.half.com for $5.00).. And the best part... no bidding! It's all "buy it now". Look at the list for condition, seller's feedback and then just buy it. Media mail shipping too... no inflated shipping costs. Good luck! Mary

#4 bitterbuffalos

bitterbuffalos

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Bend, Or

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:08 PM

I searched half, amazon, and ebay for the HTKYSA and didn't find anything. Can I search for it a better way. Found chilton and haynes manuals all over the internet, are they any good? TMB

#5 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

I searched half, amazon, and ebay for the HTKYSA and didn't find anything. Can I search for it a better way. Found chilton and haynes manuals all over the internet, are they any good? TMB

Haynes and HTKYSA are way better than Chilton. I cross between Haynes and HYKYSA, what one leaves out the other fills in. I rarely use the Chilton. I saw several copies of HTKYSA at www.half.com and www.abebooks.com 3 weeks ago... must have been snagged up already... keep checking they turn up quite often... just use Subaru for the search word. There are many other used books sites... type a search for used books. Good luck!

#6 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

The 84 FSM will cover this model well. I will sell a March 83 Edition FSM along with the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting supplement book for an 84 model year if you wish. Id like $45 for both books.

#7 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:23 PM

I have a HTKYSA for sale, $20. You probably couldn't go wrong getting ShawnW's FSM though...hard to beat the FSM.

#8 bitterbuffalos

bitterbuffalos

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Bend, Or

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:34 PM

XSNRG pm'ed ya about HTKYSA

#9 gonehuntn

gonehuntn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Washington State

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:38 PM

Nice looking Brat!

Tell us about it.

#10 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:48 PM

Check on Ebay, there are guys selling (bootleg) copies of several shop grade CD based manuals.

#11 bitterbuffalos

bitterbuffalos

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Bend, Or

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:44 PM

The Brat is a one owner California car with 102,000 miles on it. I am in Baltimore but I have a brother that lived a hour from the used car lot that it was on, he drove down and checked it out. No rust, couple of small dents/scratches but in generally great shape especially for an old subaru. So I borrowed a little more student loan money from the government than I needed and bought it. It is still in transit, and should arrive in Baltimore on Friday of this week, I can't wait. TMB

#12 wolfdog

wolfdog

Subaru - it's for life!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:04 PM

Hi Shawn, sent you a pm.

The 84 FSM will cover this model well. I will sell a March 83 Edition FSM along with the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting supplement book for an 84 model year if you wish. Id like $45 for both books.

#13 maximumBRAT

maximumBRAT

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Berthoud

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:12 PM

i just can't believe you're calling an 87 old !!!!!!!!

As for verification if it matters, yeah they're right, most others are better than Chilton, i got one along w/ the manufacturer's manual w/ my brat a year ago. BAD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users