Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Instrument panel removal question

slosube

I have an '85 GL wagon that I need to take the instrument panel out of to correct a problem with the warning lights and guages. I suspect a bad ground connection because the warning lights are all on all the time and the guages are inaccurate. How does the surround come off? I have all the screws that I can see removed but the surround seems to be connected somehow on both ends. Help! What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Pull the top and bottom heater control buttons off and there are screws at each. On the left side, I will have to go out and look and repost.

Ok, the right one is under the bottom of the surround. But there are clips where the air outlet is on the left side. Maybe once you get the right side free the left will come loose.

Before you pull the cluster...

When I had all the warning lights go on in my car, it turned out to be a bad alternator! I think this happens when a diode goes bad in the voltage regulator part of the alternator. In any case, I swapped a different alternator on, and my dash went back to normal.

Ditto on this. Same thing with my '85 GL. Check the alternator.

When I had all the warning lights go on in my car, it turned out to be a bad alternator! I think this happens when a diode goes bad in the voltage regulator part of the alternator. In any case, I swapped a different alternator on, and my dash went back to normal.