Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry for some more new guy questions. Thanks to those that responded to my first thread. Still trying to figure what that connection on the tranny is that's leaking.

But my question for this thread relates to finding out what engine/tranny/diffs are actually in/under my wife's car. It's a '99 Forester with a 2.5L DOHC, Automatic. But I'm reading that it shouldn't be a DOHC in '99. So is it a Phase I, in which I should have concerns, or is it Phase II? And where on the tranny and diffs can I find codes to determine what model and type they are, and when I get the codes where can I look them up? Thanks for the help, I've been trying to search but just can't seem to find the answers very clearly.

If you know your way around an engine you can just look at the timing covers, if you see what looks like two circles on each side of the engine it's dohc, if you only see one circle it's a sohc. Or you can look at where the spark plugs enter the head, if it's in the middle of the head, parallel to the ground, perpendicular to the frame, it's a dohc, if they enter more to the top (when looking at the engine as it's mounted), at an angle to the ground or frame, it's a sohc. Even if it's a phase II I'd still be worried, at least put aside some money if the hg's go. Or just replace it before it happens. As far as the differential/tranny go. It should be a phase II 4eat ( I believe there were only two phases phase I was up to obdII IIRC, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the rear diff should be an r160, if you'd like to know the ratio just peek at the sticker on the rear diff (if you line up your head with your bumper and bend down a couple more inches, look straight ahead and you should see it, might have to wipe it off depending on your driving style :)), it'll say 3.900 or 4.111 or 4.444 or something, almost assuredly one of those though. While you're down there, could you check to see if it says VISCOUS or VLSD or LSD or LIMITED-SLIP or something like that on there.

Good luck.

someone must've ripped your sticker off then. it's an r160 though that makes no difference as all rear's cept sti's are r160's. What do you mean by, what "type"? The dipstick for you front differential is on the passanger side of the trans housing. It'll either be yellow (mostlikely) or black with a long handle and say diff on it. While we're on it, your ATF dipstick is on the opposite side of the trans case in the same general area, mostlikely black with ATF (DEXRON II) or III on it. And just so you know you can find all this info in your owners manual. You should read it sometime, it's very informative.

That's an oddball Forester if it has a DOHC engine in it. But it could be.

The Impreza platform, which includes the Forester, got the Phase II SOHC engine in 1999. The Legacy platform, which includes the Outbacks, got the updated engine in 2000.

The front diff dipstick is hard to see. It is right in line with the firewall, and hidden from view by a bunch of thick wire harnesses. You really have to cock your head the right way to see it. At least, that's how it is on my 97 OB.

Commuter

Don't have an owner's manual yet. The dealer is supposed to ship me one, but that might take awhile. Thanks for the info. As for the diff type, I'm just curious as to whether it's a viscous or some form of LSD. Sorry to bug you guys with questions like these. I can do a ground up rebuild on a third gen camaro, but I've never played with an asian vehicle.

I agree, 1998 Forester was the only US spec year that used the DOHC. 1999 to present (Turbo excluded) US spec are SOHC phase II.

Either your dealer has deceived you about the year, or someone replaced the 1999 SOHC with a DOHC which would also include 3 wiring harnesses and the ECM.

As far as rear differentials, Only Forester S or T models have a rear LSD. L and X models do not.

1998-2002 L No rear LSD

1998-2002 S, S prem Rear LSD

2003-2005 X No rear LSD

2003-2005 XS, XS prem, XT or new LL Bean edition all have rear LSD