Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Silly XT6 Turbo Idea

Hey Guys,

I have this silly idea floating in my head about an XT6 turbo kit and I just need some input to know how doable something crazy like this is.

I have a 1.8ltr turbo header in my garage. I don't know what Subaru it's off of or what year, just that it's a turbo header. Here's what I wanted to do.

A friend from another board may be sending me his XT6 header. What I wanted to do is have the inlet of the 1.8ltr turbo header cut off on both sides and have an XT6 header exhausts port end put on both sides. I may need two XT6 headers because I'd need the drivers side to face the front of the engine as it's welded to the 1.8ltr turbo header.

From here, I simply wanted to mate this header up to a Legacy turbo, stock downpipe and custom 2.5" - 3" exhaust from there. I'd have to have the intake fabricated from the inlet to the turbo and turbo to throttle body. I'm sure I can find and scavenge parts for this. Once I get it all together and it fits pretty good with the exhaust piping, perhaps I could upgrade other parts (Like TWE).

Does something like this seem like it's within grasp or should I lay off the crack and seek counseling?

I'll throw my crack pot theroires out there so you all can yell at me. Why don't you just get a ea82T and a N/A header and combine. You could probably(I have no clue, its a damn guess) bolt the two headers on, put the turbo one on the side the 4 cylinders dump out, then the regular header on the other side. Use the 82Ts stock uppipe and then join the two later in the exaust. Yeah it wouldn't spin up as fast as it would with the 6 powering it, but ehh, its a small turbo, how much boost do you need. Plus its 9.5:1 compression, that'll do for spinning it up faster than the turbo 4, and my old turbo 4 spooled up quicker than a wrx. Yeah, its kinda dumb but it could(may be) be achieved using stock parts.

Phil

I would use the stock Y pipe, weld on a 45 and a 90 deg joint where it joins so that it kicks over then up. Run a short section up about level with the Cyl head and weld your up pipe flange there. The turbo can sit in that empty area behind the Cyl bank and next to the tranny. Throw in a Air to Water IC (several models of Subarus had these, and your good to go.

Also, I would not even consider using the stock pistons for boost. The Cyl and heads are fine but those pistons are way too thin and the shape is all wrong.

• 3 months later...

Hey Subarubrat, I was reading in SubieSport magazine that your Brat's ER27 is putting out 250HP and 240 lb ft of torque. How?! That something the rest of us ER27 owners (check out the XT6.net message board) would love to know how to do. I'd be happy just to get 175-200. Since the ER27 is 145HP/156tq stock, I'm assuming you're using a turbo setup of some kind. What are you doing for engine management?

VERY CURIOUS! :D

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Hey Subarubrat, I was reading in SubieSport magazine that your Brat's ER27 is putting out 250HP and 240 lb ft of torque. How?! That something the rest of us ER27 owners (check out the XT6.net message board) would love to know how to do. I'd be happy just to get 175-200. Since the ER27 is 145HP/156tq stock, I'm assuming you're using a turbo setup of some kind. What are you doing for engine management?

VERY CURIOUS! :D

Thanks in advance for the insight.

IIRC, his ER27 is very custom, N/A, and very $$ :D

Yeah but is it turbocharged? I mean, I can't see THAT much hp and torque coming out of an N/A ER27 and it be drivable. I'm no expert but I have an ok amount of mods on my XT6 and it's nowhere near those numbers. :confused:

post right before yours kevin says "N/A".

craziness. wonder where in the power band it's making those numbers. was it dyno'ed or is that a guess? i'd like to see list of mods it takes to get there as well.

RAM gets 50 percent or more increase on their EA81's but they have the ability to make the heads dual port instead of the stock single port - XT6 comes stock with one port per cylinder. they also use a custom designed intake, custom engine management, cams reground, lighter and redesigned pistons, redisigned aluminum valve rockers, recurved distributor, custom pulleys, no a/c and they bench flow test the heads.

Okay, but I'd still like to know what he's done to get those numbers - that's incredible! That's like a 72% increase in HP over stock. HOLY CRAP! :slobber:

There might be plenty of XT6 faithful willing to spend some bucks to get a 72% increase in HP. I know I'd be curious to see what mods he's done to get it to that level of power output, so I could see what I might do just to get it to the 180+ level. With 180HP or more an XT6 would be a fairly hot little ride. :cool: