Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shimmy between gears.

stock90

I have an 84 GL sedan that is Fwd and has an auto tranny. I have been noticing that sometimes while driving at around 35, when I gently accelerate (about 2k RPM's) usually trying just to hold my speed, there is a noticable shimmy just before it shifts gears. There is no real noise associated with it or anything, just a vibration (mainly in the shifter handle and the wheel). Just wondering if this is a common problem and what I can do about it :confused: (besides waiting for the tranny to seize and switching it out for a manual.) Thanks for any advice.

Tip given to me from the Owner of a Tranny Rebuild Shop:

"Pour a bottle of Gum-Out fuel system cleaner, (a small one), in the Tranny. If it starts working right, do a flush, filter and fluid change.

If it don't do anything different, your tranny is on it's way out. Won't hurt it anymore to leave the Gum-Out in it. No actual proof, but it just may help it last longer."

I've done it on a few trannies, the 3 F's were indicated on most, but a couple it didn't matter. Did make them work abit better, but not quite right. Drove a couple of those until they went, then did the swap.

My brakes are going too, I thnk they rub alittle while I'm driving, could this friction be causing the problem ? I'm replacing the brakes as soon as I have the time. I only drive like 10 miles a day, too and from school and work.
Hey....I have a whole set of discs off my 88 and pads that are like brand new....not sure if they will fit on your 84 but if they will you can have them for next to nothing?? Im in spocompton also so I could probably help you out in this area?? As for this being part of the problem, hard to say without driving the car??

drop me a line if your interested in the parts. pwoens1(at)yahoo(dot)com

wel if ya want a 4speed 2wd tranny ... think its 4 speed hmm manual

i don't need the one i have has linkage no tranny support crossmember

needs a flywheel and pressure plate will trow in the clutch disc i have for it as well

oh and you will need a pilot bearing..

oops and clutch pedal set