Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power steering pump leak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 applegump

applegump

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • CH

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:43 AM

Im leaking power steering fluid from the power steering pump or somewhere close to it. I checked prices for the pump, but :eek: over $300. Im thinking there must be some seals in the pump and as the pump works fine, Im thinking of replaceing the seals. Taking the whole pump apart doesn't seem too dificult. But where can I get the seals? Do dealers have em? Or can they be made somehow?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,614 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:23 AM

I don't know if they make a rebuild kit. You may want to see if you can find a used pump.

#3 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,839 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:01 PM

I can pull a used pump rust free from CO. The yard gets $25 and about $15 to ship Fedex. Let me know Lmdew@hotmail.com

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:33 PM

houses. It may require a press and puller to disassemble though.I rebuilt a Chevy one years ago ago and just took the seal in to a commercial bearing house and matched it up.
If you live in the country it might be tough to have access to bearing wholesalers.

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,614 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

I don't think you need a press. I've taken the pulley off to change it.

It's not worth tearing apart....just get a used one for cheap.

#6 jcniest5

jcniest5

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • The Twin Cities

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:35 PM

Possibly, you can just get an o-ring that replaced the one in between the pump and reservoir. I know mine had some leaking problem consistently and I thought it was the whole pump. I decide to go with the cheaper solution and bought an o-ring and now mine is perfectly dry. Drain your PS fluid, unscrew the two bolts holding the reservoir to the pump and take out the o-ring and take it to an auto parts store and get the correct size o-ring. Install it and see if it fixes the leaking. Afterall, the o-ring is less than a dollar so you won't sacrifice an arm for it.

If it's still leaking, let me know as I have a good used pump (I think) and I can ship it to you for just the shipping charge. Just let me know.

#7 sea#3

sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:56 PM

Do the o-ring thing first !
It is the o-ring 99 % of the time on the base of the reservoir
If you get the o-ring from the dealership they may want to sell you 2 o-rings there is a TSB on this
Put both in

SEA#3

#8 applegump

applegump

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • CH

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:00 AM

Wow, thanks for all the tips, Im gonna try the o ring, Im thinking its that too. I'll keep ya'll informed. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users