Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Radiators

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pwoens

pwoens

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Washington

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:01 AM

I noticed during the summer my 88 gl10turbo ran a little hot (im sure it has nothing to do with 280k ;) ) and was curious how many people upgraded their radiators on these cars?? While working on it this weekend I noticed the rad on these cars are fairly small and I was thinking that a bigger and better flow rad would assist in the cooling of these cars. Any opinions or suggestions??

Thanks

#2 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:35 AM

It's fairly common to upgrade to a double row radiator on EA82Ts

#3 oobnuker

oobnuker

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Oxford, CT

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:39 AM

I grabbed one from Advanced Auto for about $120 - Double Row core from a turbo. Now the car rarely ever goes above 1/8th on the gauge...

Well worth it.

#4 Mendodave

Mendodave

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Little River, California

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:29 AM

Can anyone tell me how you tell if the radiator that is in the car is already a double row?

Should have asked this question at the WCSS!

David

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:41 AM

I have never seen an aluminum 2-row-core replacement radiator, so that might be your first clue. And besides, if it is aluminum it is cruddy. Aluminum isn't as good a thermal conductor as copper and tends to form an insulative skin as they age.

If you can feel the thickness of the core, like sticking your hand into through the engine driven fan (with the engine off... do as I say, not as I do), the single-row is about 1/2 inch thick, and 2-row about 1 inch thick.

#6 oobnuker

oobnuker

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Oxford, CT

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

Can anyone tell me how you tell if the radiator that is in the car is already a double row?

Should have asked this question at the WCSS!

David

Looking down at the top of the radiator, note the "end tanks", now note the thickness of the "core (where the fins are)" - a single row radiator is roughly a third of the thickness of the end tanks, a double row is closer to filling it out from front to back. That's my estimation of it at least.

#7 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:51 AM

if you need a new radiator in spokane, call A-Star distributing; they often have the best price and carry reputable brands like modine or PCS? (P-something-something) .. there's another good shop across from the Kmart on east Sprague, can't remember the name. ask for a 2 row core. it'll probably be for an automatic, maybe for a turbo as well.

#8 avatar382

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:53 AM

I grabbed one from Advanced Auto for about $120 - Double Row core from a turbo. Now the car rarely ever goes above 1/8th on the gauge...

Well worth it.

You wouldn't happen to recall the part number, would you? Was it a specific brand, on the shelves? Or did you have to have them order it for you from their little computers?

#9 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

You wouldn't happen to recall the part number, would you? Was it a specific brand, on the shelves? Or did you have to have them order it for you from their little computers?

Yeah, I couldn't get the correct one at my Advance store. They ordered a "Ready Rad" brand 2-row that wouldn't phisically fit.

The manufacturer and part # would be great.

John

#10 oobnuker

oobnuker

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Oxford, CT

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, I couldn't get the correct one at my Advance store. They ordered a "Ready Rad" brand 2-row that wouldn't phisically fit.

The manufacturer and part # would be great.

John

I don't recall. I think I ordered it for a 1989 GL Wagon Turbo. They had to order it, but had it for me the next day (Sunday even)...It has worked like a charm. My only complaint is that the new end tanks are plastic - but they haven't given me any troubles, just knowing they are plastic...

#11 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (scratched CD???:-\):

On that Advanced Auto radiaor, is the core copper or aluminum? I don't know that I have seen plastic tanks on a copper core. The plastic tanks are common and durable, will outlast the aluminum core several times over.

#12 Mendodave

Mendodave

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Little River, California

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:51 PM

Looking down at the top of the radiator, note the "end tanks", now note the thickness of the "core (where the fins are)" - a single row radiator is roughly a third of the thickness of the end tanks, a double row is closer to filling it out from front to back. That's my estimation of it at least.

OK. That makes sense. I have three radiators, all the same, and I can see two rows of fins in it, but it only takes up about a third/half of the tank width.

I could not believe that I had scored three different doublerow radiators.

I definitely want to get one, if somebody has a part number. The PKmobile is almost ready for a Baja trip

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users