Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A sad day...another dead Brat...

I love my Brat, but it just isn't safe to sit in anymore. This morning on my way to work it developed a bad shake at about 60 in the left rear. I had already "added some metal" to keep the rear diff from falling out, and I thought it was just a bad tire. When I got home from work I looked underneath the poor wretched thing and the piece of rust the the rear suspension pivot bolts to has broken. I feel like I must put this old dog down...

HELP! I must have another. This engine is magic - 188,900 miles and a recent compression test netted 163-169psi in all four! I don't care one thing about rust, or looks, I need another body that is in reasonable condition. I have trusted these crazy-rump roast cars all over the country! Two weeks ago I drove this very Brat to Lincoln NE (350 miles, one way) to pick-up a 450 lb motorcycle! (never mind that a shock came through the bed on the way home, that's beside the point) I drove an '87 GL wagon rust bucket from here to Seattle and back, got caught in a snow storm on the way, hit by a sixteen year old, AND STILL made it home without a hiccup (ok, I lost a CV boot in Montana but so what: boots? we don't need no stinking...) and for my final testament to Fuji Heavy Industries, I had a great time with my '96 Impreza OBW, and still got top dollar for it with 193k on the clock! Somebody somewhere has to have a Brat with a mechanical problem, or a case of the rusties that aren't too bad, or even a rollover - I would cut the top right off this thing if I could keep a Brat in the driveway. My 400EX fits into it so well I can't be without it! Help!