Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been shopping [online] for a few weeks, looking at Baja's, and I've noticed something: Compared to the OBW, there is a much higher percentage of 5-speeds as compared to automatics (with the OBW I typically see about 75/25 AT/MT split, with the Baja, it seems like it's 15/85!)

I assume this is because the Baja is marketed as a 'sporty' vehicle for predominately young males. Anyway, I wonder if maybe one of the reasons that the Baja has had 'disappointing' sales (as I read several months ago in a car magazine) is the high proportion of manual trannys. Some people just want an automatic, period.

Before I got my OBW last year, I'd never owned a vehicle with an automatic tranny, but I quickly got spoiled. Still, as I shop for a Baja, my feeling is that the transmission will not be a deal breaker. I prefer an auto, but if I can save several thousand bucks by getting a 5-speed, I'll happily do that.

Anyway, just an observation. Who knows, maybe it's regional? Has anyone else noticed the same thing in their area?

Guest lothar34
And,

Hey are they ever going to update that front end to the newer style? ... or is the baja the red headed step child of the subbi line? I had also heard the sales were poor, are they gonna shot this dog or what?

Phil

The '05 Baja, using the '04 Outback/Legacy chassis and internals (save the turbo) is the last one. There won't be an '06 model, so no updates.

• 2 months later...
That's kind of my point. More people would be willing to buy them if they could get an A/T. I used to be a die hard M/T fan, too, but the reality is most people prefer automatics.

M/T is superior for driving but A/T is better for the reality of stop & go traffic. Also some buyers prefer manual but have family members who can't drive stick.

How are the new autosticks (not available on Baja Sport) ? Useful for keeping a non-turbo in the powerband or a gimmick?

AUTO?! BLEAH!!! Bugger that, I prefer the control that the 5 speed gives me. I bet they were geared toward the younger generation. I know very few college students who have an automatic, or enjoy driving one. I even like using it in Suburbia, it helps me move around in traffic! :brow:
I agree, I really do not like autos. I am glad subaru is offering auto and not going the way of Toyota and Nissan were you can only get auto's on many new vehicles.

I've noticed, around western PA, that about 95% of used Subarus are AT. People who buy MT keep them until they die...not get a new car every few years. I looked from Pittsburgh, PA to Erie, PA and in Youngstown, OH for a used Legacy MT w/ an EJ22...took me 3 months...and I found my OBW in Pittsburgh. I only found 3 that fit my criteria.

I've noticed, around western PA, that about 95% of used Subarus are AT. People who buy MT keep them until they die...not get a new car every few years. I looked from Pittsburgh, PA to Erie, PA and in Youngstown, OH for a used Legacy MT w/ an EJ22...took me 3 months...and I found my OBW in Pittsburgh. I only found 3 that fit my criteria.

Yup, I've found the same thing in the past when looking in easern PA.

BUT, don't forget that the slaughter-matic isn't a true 50:50 all time AWD like the 5spd is. That makes a difference in the overall feel of the car. The Automatics I'v driven feel much more like a FWD car, where as the Manual cars always feel like a solid AWD.

Keith

Yup, I've found the same thing in the past when looking in easern PA.

BUT, don't forget that the slaughter-matic isn't a true 50:50 all time AWD like the 5spd is. That makes a difference in the overall feel of the car. The Automatics I'v driven feel much more like a FWD car, where as the Manual cars always feel like a solid AWD.

Keith

I agree.

I believe you will also find more 5spds in states with mountains. In Colorado finding a mt Subaru is relatively easy.

It is easy to kick the arse end out in the snow. . .just yank on the handbrake. . .

I used this meathod once with a pasenger in the car in WI, there had beed 24" of snow dropped the previous night and I was asked to drive him around base (I was in the Army at the time) so he could get all his paperwork set up. . . I told him to tell me before we got to his temp quarters, but he told me after. . .

I was going all of 5mph, so I cranked over the wheel toward the left snowbank, and grabbed the handbrake. Back end snapped about as pretty as you please, and when I was 180deg from the way I had been facing, I let go of the brake and rolled a few feet. Then I looked over at my passenger who had an expression on his face like "Oh my God! We're gonna DIE!!". . .

I almost choked with laughter as I shoved it back in first and started off back to the quarters that he had pointed out too late. . .

Yeah, I was a bit of a bastitch in those days. . . .

The '05 Baja, using the '04 Outback/Legacy chassis and internals (save the turbo) is the last one. There won't be an '06 model, so no updates.

Not true... from Chicago Tribune:

"Spokesman Mike Whelan said Subaru plans to continue producing the Baja through the '07 model year and build it off the new Legacy/Outback platform after that."

:brow:

Well, I hope that's true! I've decided to keep my '99 OBW for the time being, at least until I finish school in May, and I still like the idea of the Baja, even thought I think Subaru screwed up the concept by not configuring it with the totally disappearing midgate as in the Avalanche.

Since the '05's look better than the '00-'04 models, I'm looking forward to seeing the updated Baja. They should get the additional length and ground clearance as well.