Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found it. I currently own a 2001 Subaru Outback and I realy love it. I will neve own a non AWD vehicle again (unless it's a 4x4 truck) , anyway, the problem I'm having is as follows: When running the A/C the air from the vents will come out ice cold for a while then gradually get warm, then gradually get ice cold again, and on and on, at about two or three minute intervals. While this is happening the compresor is running the condenser fan is running and the blower fan is running. It doesn't seem like a lack of refrigerant due to the fact that it does blow out ice cold air on and off. Any imput would help before I take it to the dealership. Thanks in advance. Geat site. I;m glad to be a member now.

The only thing I could think of is maybe (just maybe) your AC compressor is due for service? Another thought would be if your car has automatic temperature (or climate) control and if it has it, the temperature sensor may not work properly, which is due for replacement.

Sounds like normal operation to me. The cooling is cycled to avoid freezing the condensation on the evaporator. If this turns to ice, it will impede the air flow.

Just before the air goes cold again, you should be able to hear a slight "hiss" from behind the glovebox. Normal.

If it hisses for more than about a second, or makes any other noise, then the refrigerant level is probably low.