Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale 5spd. 4x4 cheap suspension lift

Bob Johansen

prolly stated somewhere before, but im tired and lazy at the time. whats the biggest size tire you can go on 15"wheels w/o having to get any lift? i got no prob screwin w/ the fenders to make it fit, just dont wanna have to pay for axles every month or a lift kit since ill be quite strapped for cash in a while.

You like changing axles right? Good... Now lets talk about suspension lifts. :lol:

Those little rubber spring spacers are trash. I tried them when my wagon was 2WD and unlifted. My strut cartraiges were worn out and I figured 'hey cheap lift!' right? Welp they fall out if you ever go offroad and your springs fully extend. You could easily loose them even on the road in certain situations.

I had a set of spring clamps on my old hot rod. Cheap way to lower the car in the rear. They worked great and held on forever. Never seen them used to extend the spring for a cheap lift. I would say those would stay in better... but if you ever start extending your springs they will prolly still fall out.

Point is these are really only options if you never offroad and just wanna look like its lifted on the tar.

For a cheap suspension lift I wouldnt bother with either of those. Get some 4WD adjustable struts from another Subaru. Swap those in, crank them up, then put on the biggest tire you can. Tires = real clearance; not lift kits. Lift kits just allow you to put on larger tires. This is prolly the cheapest lift you could do and still be reliable offroad. Struts and tires can both be had at junkyards really cheap.

The adjustable front struts will give you up to 2 inches more lift if you crank the adjusters up. There was a chart going around the board with all the 85-92 soobys and the specs on the shocks/struts. I think the RX has the longest rear strut, so if you can get em that will take care of the back. 85/86 4wd wagons have adjustable front struts. Now for tires...

I got a buddy up here with a 84 wagon and hes running 27 or 28s with stock suspension and no lift kit. Hes got yota offset rims that help with the rubbing on the inside. His car looks huge and he did it with just stuff from the junkyard. You may have to cut the front of the quarter panel to make them fit if you want that big of tires.

good luck

woulda a 1" susp. lift in the back only screw anything up (besides the axles)? id do this purely for looks, since you cant do much with just a rear lift anyway (unless you offroaded backwards).

25" tires sound good. i dont know the width of the 15" wagoneer wheels that ill be getting, so if anyone knows of some 25" tires that fit those feel free to post some info. also, what is the metric form of 25" (ie 215/75/15 or something in that format) so i can look some tires up myself? gracias por la primero informacion.