Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keyless entry standard on '98 OBW?

Hey everyone. I was well pumped when I received my keyfob today in the mail for my '98 OBW. I didn't receive one when I purchased the car a few months ago. $15 on ebay! What a deal...No directions to program as promised, but hey, a search on USMB and I'm in business. I printed a great picture and directions from someone's post of how to find the programming button under the dash, near the hood release, hold for 15 seconds, etc. I get under there and sure enough, no button! I'd found the keyless entry black box before and just assumed that if the box was there, it must be equipped. The sensor between the map lights on the ceiling and the power locks when using the key sold me even more. So what gives? If the keyless system wasn't standard on my car, anyone have any ideas what it might take to get up to speed?

As a side note, should the back gate lock/unlock with the rest of the doors?

Thanks guys and gals....

Hey everyone. I was well pumped when I received my keyfob today in the mail for my '98 OBW. I didn't receive one when I purchased the car a few months ago. $15 on ebay! What a deal...No directions to program as promised, but hey, a search on USMB and I'm in business. I printed a great picture and directions from someone's post of how to find the programming button under the dash, near the hood release, hold for 15 seconds, etc. I get under there and sure enough, no button! I'd found the keyless entry black box before and just assumed that if the box was there, it must be equipped. The sensor between the map lights on the ceiling and the power locks when using the key sold me even more. So what gives? If the keyless system wasn't standard on my car, anyone have any ideas what it might take to get up to speed?

As a side note, should the back gate lock/unlock with the rest of the doors?

Thanks guys and gals....

So do you have the black box under the dash?

Back gate should lock/unlock w/rest doors.

There will be a black box if you have keyless or not. If you don't have keyless, your box will be a timed door lock.

The dealer will be able to tell you by VIN if your car had the option of keyless or not?

I have an 01 Forester which was suppose to have keyless as a standard feature. Cars can be ordered without these standard features! My car was.

I had to chase down the part and install it before my remote would work.

Get the part number of the keyless from the dealer and match it up to your box and see if it is a keyless box or not?

Good luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, what's a remote?

01 Forester, ebay remotes and keyless box!

I think (but don't quote me) that Subaru started "prewiring" the cars in 98 for keyless entry. My 97 OB did not even have that. I don't think it was a standard item on the base OB for 98. It was probably standard for the OB Limited.

Check www.cars101.com. You can probably find the answer there.

You may need a different "black box". Just a guess.

Commuter