Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you're following from past threads...I was this close to buying a BAJA, backed out, and decided to drop the cash into my current Subie, a 1992 Legacy W AT with 230K.

As we speak, she's currently in the shop undergoing approximately $1800 in repairs. Oil pan and steering rack replacement. Transmission work to repair shudder in turning at slow speeds. A couple CV boots. And some other minor issues.

My reservations about the wisdom of this decision have grown since I started looking around at used Legacies comparable to mine. I could probably get the same car, with 100K less on it, for about 1000 dollars more than what I'm paying to repair my current one...get another 5 years out of it, and then finally buy a new car.

As it stands, I've dumped money into something with a TON of miles on it, and with no previous engine or transmission work. Mistake? Is it an expensive time bomb? Would the money have been more wisely used just getting another used Legacy with fewer miles?

Maybe unanswerable questions...

There is always something to be said for having a car you know. The other cars could have the same problems in a few years and you'd be faced with the same decision. As long as the body and "frame" are in good shape I'd say you made a good choice. Even if the engine or trans go, they can be had for $500 or less a piece, and they are actually pretty easy to replace. I've gotten rid of a few cars that I should have just spent the money on fixing instead of buying a new one. The last one I had was a great little justy. Dropped it and bought an RX that the motor proceeded to blow up on 6 months later.

Keith

If you're following from past threads...I was this close to buying a BAJA, backed out, and decided to drop the cash into my current Subie, a 1992 Legacy W AT with 230K.

As we speak, she's currently in the shop undergoing approximately $1800 in repairs. Oil pan and steering rack replacement. Transmission work to repair shudder in turning at slow speeds. A couple CV boots. And some other minor issues.

My reservations about the wisdom of this decision have grown since I started looking around at used Legacies comparable to mine. I could probably get the same car, with 100K less on it, for about 1000 dollars more than what I'm paying to repair my current one...get another 5 years out of it, and then finally buy a new car.

As it stands, I've dumped money into something with a TON of miles on it, and with no previous engine or transmission work. Mistake? Is it an expensive time bomb? Would the money have been more wisely used just getting another used Legacy with fewer miles?

Maybe unanswerable questions...

You made the right move.

I guarantee those other cars after you purchase them will find issues they have also. You will generally spend $500-$1000 on issues you find after you buy.

I got the car back around noon today. Apparently, they elected not to do the transmission work, which saved me $600 for the time being. The mechanic contends that the problem in the transmission should just be allowed to continue until it gets to the point where the car is shuddering even while going straight. At that point,they suggest putting in a used transaxle. What do you guys think of this "just let it go" idea? He says it may go 80K (!!) before it needs to be replaced. I don't know what this estimate is based upon because it feels like the car is dying every time I park it or make a sharp turn.

So, for $1150...the steering rack, oil pan, front left axle, and right rear tail lamp were replaced. They also did a 4 wheel alignment and put the state inspection sticker on. (Edit: BTW A remanufactured steering rack cost me $399, plus $90 for the core, and I'm not exactly sure what the "core" is.)

None of the things they fixed have really noticeably changed the way the car drives and feels, leaving me with sort of an empty feeling.

Anyway, I can legally drive it for at least one more year...:-\

The 'shudder' as you describe it 'sounds' like torque bind. Make sure all tires are the same make, style, tread wear, diameter and close to the same pressure (BTW, I have found that both our Legacies drive better, and the tires last MUCH longer if I run them at 38 lbs). DId you at least do a tranny flush and new fluid?

Can only maake it last longer.

As for the $1,100.00 ... that would have been about three or four MONTHS payments on the Baja, NTM the i-n-s-u-r-a-n-c-e!

ReeeeeeLaaaax, bruddah, you done good.

I've been running on two sets of tires. One for the winter and one for the rest of the year.

The All seasons are 3 of one type and one of another (I know, don't hang me!). They are similar, but not identical tread types, and have similar wear.

My snows are all the same and they'll be going on in another month or so.

I think I will replace my all seasons with 4 new tires in the spring.

The last time I flushed the trans. was probably more thank 30K ago, so I guess it is overdue. Perhaps I will have that done next oil change...

but one ?...torque bind doesn't just "go away", right? I mean, presumably I can lessen the symptoms by ensuring the tires are identical and by keeping the fluid in good shape...but the shake will still be there, right?

Your old unit has value. If there was not a core charge, everyone would throw away their old worn parts and there would be nothing to rebuild.

When you bought the rebuilt power steering unit, you paid for someone else's used unit ($90) plus the rebuilding costs ($399). When you or your mechanic returns your old unit, you or the mechanic gets the $90 back. The next guy will pay $90 for your old part, as well as $399 for the it's rebuilding.

The cycle continues.

Your old unit has value. If there was not a core charge, everyone would throw away their old worn parts and there would be nothing to rebuild.

When you bought the rebuilt power steering unit, you paid for someone else's used unit ($90) plus the rebuilding costs ($399). When you or your mechanic returns your old unit, you or the mechanic gets the $90 back. The next guy will pay $90 for your old part, as well as $399 for the it's rebuilding.

The cycle continues.