Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good ideas on building a chassis for the Brat?

Well since I plan on doing all of this modification to the Brat, I want to build a chassis that I can mount the front Datsun suspension, rearend w/4-link, motor and tranny to but I can't seem to find a place online that can give me a good idea on how to go along either building a chassis or using a chassis from something else. Also, does anyone have a Datsun 2wd standard cab truck that they can measure the wheelbase on so maybe I could just go with a frame from one of those? Thanks guys:D

There's a datsun 720 2wd at my friends house that I can measure, but I don't think theres any way you could get the brat to sit low enough on the frame. It would look pretty redneck. The datsun body is sort of channeled too. I assume you want this thing pretty much slammed right? Why don't you just stick with the stock front suspension and fabricate a rear subframe to hold the 4-link and nissan axle? Then when you build a roll cage (or have one built) you can tie the points into the front frame rails, the side rails, and then down near the rear mount points for the 4-link to give stiffness.

well I'm cutting the Brat body up so it will fit. I'm not gonna make it look trashy so I can cut a spot in the floorboards for the frame to tuck up nicely. I had this thought when I was wondering how hard it would be to take the frame fromt something else and make it fit under the Brat.....and besides, I gotta cut up the bed to make the axle fit.....and the trans. tunnel and firewall are getting cut up so I have room to put the Borg-Warner T5 and the motor in there:D

not sure if anybody realistic, has answered any of your posts on this dream you have... but wtf?

solid axles for the street huh, sounds like a great plan

2.8 for drag racing on the street huh, again great plan

how much do you want this thing to weigh, once you put a unibody car on a solid frame, theres no way to have it sit on the ground, and it will weigh more than the camaro you should be driving anyway.

shaved handles? what are you trying to do here? you dont think its gonna look trashy?

planned mods completed by 2020: twin turbo 2.2 with a 6 speed from a mustang, with 1 inch of ground clearance, with hydrolics, curb feelers, CHROME chain steering wheel, velour brougham camaro seats, helium filled tube frame, so it will weigh less, 20 inch pimp wheels, 8 ball shifter, moms shower curtain, for the back window..... more to come!

If you want it to look good, you'll be spending lots of money on a tubing bender, a good mig welder if you don't have one, and many ft of .065 or .095 1 1.25 or 1.5 dia.tubin g to make a tubular space frame for the body. It can be done, but think realistically about your tools, and resources. A nissan pickup chassis is not going to fit under the brat, look good, and perform. And why bother, it would have to be narrowed, shortened, and you'd have to cut the body all to hell to make it fit. Then, you step back and realize you've got a heavy rump roast ladder frame in the middle of a body that used to be lightweight and nimble.

Time to take a reality check on that future mods list... :rolleyes:

Even doing ALL ( every single bit ) of this yourself will cost hundreds of dollars (thousands if you dont have all of the proper tools). Do you have that kind of budget at your disposal? How about the months (or years?) it will take to build it?

Those are the limiting factors in this project...

well I looked at a frame today and here is what I found. The frame is the same width as the Brat but it is 8" longer then I want so I will be cutting it down and making it work. I also am getting the 4-link setup worked out by people on a Nissan minitruck board www.nissanminis.com Another thing guys is that anything can be done. I'm going to be stripping the frame down of everything I DON'T need to make it light.....gimme a break guys, I know what kind of stuff I'm getting myself into and I also have friends that i live with that are helping me on this project. I am being realistic and so if you're input is going to be negative, I don't want to hear it. I know of people that have put flat 6 into a gen 3 wagon!!! Other people have built 12" lifts and put them under a hatchback and wheeled the Rubicon!!! So why is it so unrealistic to put a frame under a Brat and slam it????? Geez guys..................:-\

YEah, he may be putting a Chevy motor in a Subaru, and yeah, he may be putting it on a full frame and making it heavy, but the point is, it's different, and he wants to do it, and it's his car, so he can do to it what he wants to. If he decides later on that it's too much work, or too much of a pain in the rump roast, fine, he'll figure it out. But I dunno about you guys, btu when someone tells me something can't be done, it just drives me harder to figure out a way to do it. How many times have we heard "Oh you can't four wheel a Subaru" or "Oh you can't lift a Subaru!" And does that stop Eric and Ken and John from lifting the snot out of Soobs and going wheeling? Hell no!

not sure if anybody realistic, has answered any of your posts on this dream you have... but wtf?

solid axles for the street huh, sounds like a great plan

2.8 for drag racing on the street huh, again great plan

how much do you want this thing to weigh, once you put a unibody car on a solid frame, theres no way to have it sit on the ground, and it will weigh more than the camaro you should be driving anyway.

shaved handles? what are you trying to do here? you dont think its gonna look trashy?

planned mods completed by 2020: twin turbo 2.2 with a 6 speed from a mustang, with 1 inch of ground clearance, with hydrolics, curb feelers, CHROME chain steering wheel, velour brougham camaro seats, helium filled tube frame, so it will weigh less, 20 inch pimp wheels, 8 ball shifter, moms shower curtain, for the back window..... more to come!

Now I DO have a couple Camaros and that remark was totally rude and degrating. I hate it when people put me down because I have a "white trash Camaro". WTF guys? I have an '88 IROC-Z thats worth more then any of my dad's cars and it doesn't run. And how much did I pick it up for? $500 bucks and sitting in a non-running condition, its worth $18,000 and I have the paperwork to prove it. So next time you go to make vulger comments about someone's ideas, please keep then to yourselves.

You know, where's the crowd of people to come out and yell trash when you see a horribly neglected subaru? Or in fact, some really ugly menacing vehicles that are barely running (no offense) get less comments than this.

It'll basically be a subaru body on a datsun frame with a camaro engine/tranny. Ok, so if he keeps it all stock... and it's rusty or in need of paint real badly... it's NOT trashy. if he repaints it, beefs it up, makes it into a drag car, and makes it so it won't bust anything in the process... it's trashy. Got it.

that makes 90% of this boards' cars trashy. including my old hatch...

I say go for it. the world of mechanics is a do-as-you-please. You can do anything that you can engineer up, and nobody is really stopping you provided you have the materials, tools, time, and money.

Different is good. otherwise everyone would be a complete tool and drive hondas.

the point that some people may not realize here is that for a short period of time while he is at school he will have access to literally millions of dollars worth of equipment which he will be able to use to build this machine, he will also have the expertise of many others who have experience in these sort of fabrications. The main thing this young imaginative guy is going to need is a determination to work and work hard in every class he's in so he can learn as much as possible. Then when each aspect of this dream comes together he will be able to do it and do it right.Caboo stay focused and you'll get along ways, you may not have enough time to get everything done here, but you'll definately learn how to do all of it.

i've got to stick up for you too.

every time i see a rusty beaten up subaru, i think it's trashy. i think "what a piece of crap, too bad it wasn't better taken care of." i don't have that opinion if it's an off road car because then it's practical.. who wants to spend more time watching their paint job than 4 wheeling? people who DON'T 4 wheel, like me :D

and why does a lowered brat which can't offroad need to be lightweight anyway?

i have to say that treating any subaru as if it's immune to standards applied to any non-subaru is pretty unfair. a lot of people have what we'd call misconceptions about subarus that were arrived at just as uninformedly and unfairly. the only people who think that "subarus should only be rally/offroad capable" are the people who have those interests. caboobaroo's not dissing you guys for NOT lowering your cars, so give him the same courtesy and wish him luck. suggestions for improvement are usually welcomed by anyone, but criticizing someone's preference is none of your business.

I didn't know you would be in the situation with access to all sorts of cool stuff. I think that the 2.8 and the nissan axle are good ideas and I don't have any problems with a lowered brat. I think trying to put a nissan frame under it is counter productive, that's all. Whatever makes you happy, but you asked for good ideas, and I don't think the nissan chassis route is one of them.

just because you might be able to accomplish something, doesnt mean you should.

different is not always better.

a 2.2 engine, with the stock, or legacy suspension makes so much more sence, weighs less, aluminum block, and tranny... most of all its not american crap!_!

just take out the front axles, run the rear end you want, with independant suspension.

cast iron is for suckers. solid axles for the street? where did you get these ideas? you just lookin for a chrome pumpkin cover? look at foreigh cars, they are quick and nimble because they didnt use the heavy outdated pushrod engine, with a giant overweight frame. do you ever see drag racing hondas go with a stinkin ladder frame? cast iron rear ends? that weighs more than the engine that was stock in that car

just sounds like a horrible pipe dream to me. adding weight will not get you to 11seconds.

im done, i will just wait for the pictures, and the quarter mile times. =p

well the motor has already been started on....granted the BLOCK is cast iron, the heads are a nice , shiny aluminum. When I can be pushin 500hp out of this motor, weight of a Nissan frame and chopped up Brat body doesn't concern me that much. I'm sorry but I like the street and I like my domestics. Screw these little rice rocket crap and friggin Honda's. I do NOT own a Honda and never plan on it. If people are going to be tellin me its gonna suck or its gonna be heavy and blah, blah, blah then SHUT YOUR FRIGGIN MOUTH!!! Thats not what I asked for in this thread......

LUVMYBRAT, I plan on starting in a year maybe sooner but finacial wise...I can't as of right now. Andrew is still starting on the 4th and of course I'll be around. I don't plan on heading home until AFTER I'm done!!:D

Here's my two cents!

Do what you want, do what makes sense to you, do what excites you.

Create with what you have access to. Being righteous only corners you!

I get the biggest kick out of the creations people come up with. We all have different backgrounds and different resources. Most of us are drawn to Subaru's because they are inexpensive not because they are superior to everthing else.

I put an XT6 on Toyota Axles because I had a rusted out old Toyota 4x4 Truck. It turned out great and I love to drive it. It is not the most amazing vehicle in the world, but it is a one of a kind and I get a great sense of pride driving it around. Sticking to any kind of rules only limits what you can do. There is only so far you can go and keep it all Subaru. The only ones who benefit from us keeping it all Subaru, are the manufacturers that mass produce parts for the "Bolt on Queens" out there.

Have fun, in the end it only matters whether or not you like it!

Mike

wow its like WJM's "300 hp" thread all over agian. why can't people just let others with different views be? I mean its not like he's building and is going to force you to drive it. I also think a frame is a bad idea, but do what you want to do. I would just build a new rear sub-frame for the 4 link, well if I was going to build a brat for the street anyways. but like I said do what you want to do, and don't let these "haters" get you down.

I'm not planning on it since I can lift a complete Nissan bare fram by myself....and since I'm cutting about 40lbs worth of metal (maybe more) off of the body and about 10lbs off of the frame, I don't think it will make it much heavier then it is (maybe 100 lbs?) I sat down last night and started designing the 4-link setup in the rear and from what I'm gathering, this will be an easy 4-link to build.

I am a little curious why your going for the Nissan front suspension? I'm thinking it's becouse it's a more commen front end to lower, from what I gather your getting alot of ideas from the Nissan minitruck crowd. I just think sticking with a lowered BRAT front end would do the trick and save alot of fabrication. All you'd have to do is make some engine and tranny mounts, fab up a 4 link rear and be done. Is the 2.8L a popular engine for the Nissan crowd too?

no a 2.8 isn't a fave motor for the Nissan crowd, its a motor I trust since I drove 10,000 miles in my '88 Camaro that had the 2.8 MPFI and I had my foot in it everyday! I also have acess to cheap hop up parts for it and also a nice stroker kit for a couple hundred bucks. I'm planning on using the Nissan front suspension because I want to lay frame. I want to have the first Brat to LAY FRAME. This is why I want to do all of this but unfortunatly, if I can get it to lay frame with the stock suspension and no frame, I'll rip the unibody apart! Trust me on this guys, a Nissan frame, a bare frame doesn't weight hardy anything since I can pick one up by myself! and the front and rear suspension/axle will be about the same weight as the stock Subaru suspension, rear diff, axles, etc. I am going to be cutting all of the unnecessary CRAP off of this frame and of course I'm going to chop the crap out of the body. I'm going to be removing the trans tunnel, firewall, a bunch of the bed, and some of the rear cab for a crawl through for subs. So total I'm guessing that it will be a little heavier but not by too much. Also have you guys ever heard of the GM powerbook? They've got a 2.8 that is pushin some major HP numbers!! I don't want to go with a Suby drivetrain cause how boring is that??? There are people that have done the Ej20T swap into a Gen 1 and yadda yadda yadda but its still boring to me! This is MY car and I asked a simple question and people started giving me crap about putting a "junk" motor into this car and how I should leave it all Suby and stuff like that. Screw you guys that say crap to mea bout how stupid it is because guess what THIS ISN'T YOUR CAR!!!! Lemme have my fun.........