Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Idle MY95 Legacy 2.2

My daughter has been driving our MY95 Legacy L 2.2 for a while now and told me the other day about this problem. I drove the car today and found that the idle in neutral stays at 1000 to 1100 RPMs even when at normal operating temp. If I "goose" the pedal quickly it will drop down to 800-850 but a touch on the gas will produce the higher idle again. It drops some when selecting a gear on the AT but I can still feel the higher idle. A quick kick will reduce the idle RPMs while in gear but next time it's high again. Takes longer to stop since the engine is at a highr RPM too. Sprayed the linkage and cable and thought it helped, but it came back. When shifting back into neutral the RPMs jump to 1400-1600 then settle to 1000.

Any ideas? Feels like a high idle cam stuck on an old carb setup.

Thanks!

Hi,

May be worth cleaning the butterfly itself. If there's buildup on the plate, it may not close easily and spraying the linkage won't help. Remove the ducting and take a look. Move the butterfly open/closed to see the back side.

Don't spray while the engine is running (!) as you might risk a blowback (then you may have bigger things to worry about). Try a rag soaked in carb cleaner and see if you can get in there.

BTW, hope you haven't used WD40 for the linkages as it will dry things out and cause more problems down the road (pun intended). I typically use white lithium grease, judiciously applied.

Regards,

Adnan

I'm still going to clean it up tonight and see if that helps at all.

I did a search for a proceedure for checking the TPS. Couldn't locate any info. I assume there is a mesurement I can take with an ohm meter? Anyone know the readings and correct way to check it?

Thanks

Only my 2 cents here..I am not familiar with the '95's, but have 2 other FI cars..if your car has an idle screw that can be adjusted...unscrew the item completely out and clean it up...do not damage the tip or sharp point of the screw...if this is the cause, it should clear the idling problem up and while your at it, clean up the inside of the throttle plate etc.with the proper spray cleaner

There are no idle screws for adjustment on this model. I think the TPS checks and adjusts the idle as needed.

No CEL and the AC is off (no defrost either).

I took off the air tube and sprayed carb cleaner inside while holding open the throttle. However before I sprayed I did a visual inspection and the inner parts were clean, only a very slight discoloring of brown, hardly worth a mention. I also greased up the linkage and cables. The idle still is staying around 1000-1100 with the same other symptoms I mention earlier.