Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

pixt.gif

pixt.gifpixt.gifpixt.gifthes_tab.gif One entry found for trebuchet.

Main Entry: treb·u·chet audio.gif

Pronunciation: "tre-by&-'shet, -b&-, -'chet

Variant(s): or treb·uc·ket audio.gif /"tre-b&-'ket/

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English trebochet, from Middle French trebuchet

: a medieval military engine for hurling heavy missiles (as rocks)

I have to agree if you plan on drag racing the WRX alot, you need to plan on a new gear set (STi), and a new rear end (upgrade r160 or r180), with upgraded axels all around (drive shaft shop). If you want to launch fast with the least abuse, i would definitly not drop the clutch, i would probley bring the car into the 3000-3500 RPM rang and let off the clutch while aplling gas to keep the car in its power band then go from there. I would rather have a roast clutch than a bad gear set. If your car is a 04 or newer subaru put a (device?) on the clutch hydralic sysem to keep people from droping the clutch on WRXs, so you may be able to drop the clutch with the affect of fastley letting go it go. This device suposibley has saved many trannies. The weak point of the WRX is the trannie, followed by the rear which dies with any wheel hop, then the axels right after the rear end.

The thing i hate about this, (it keeps coming up on every subaru fourm) is that subaru advertises the WRX as a drag car which gives people the idea that the car should be able to go 0-60 in 5.4 secs, and not kill it self while doing it. I think subaru is totaly to blame for this, and should be held accountable for there weak drivtrain, for what they advertise.

If i were you i would post on http://www.nasioc.com they have a huge, huge amunt of subaru enthusist that race there cars in every fourm of motor sports.

Not Sube's responsibility.

If you regularly start from a standstill with over 3000rpm on the clock - nevermind the 5000rpm that really gets things moving - then your car ain't gonna last. No car will.

Porsche Turbos tend to twist and snap their drive axles during the sub-five-second launches that they put in the technical data. Is Porsche a weak car?

Drag racing doesn't prove much anyway, in my most humble opinion. I prefer to outrun challengers on the twisty roads.

Clutch? What clutch? ;) Launching mine is as simple as powerbraking until I get the rpms where I want it. :lol:

My wifes is a 5spd and has never had an issue with a "weak tranny" and I know she doesn't exactly baby it. From my experiences the weak tranny myth started with a few bad apples from the initial release of the 2002 cars.

I would still recommend against pavement drag racing. Not at all what they were meant for.

Drag racing doesn't prove much anyway, in my most humble opinion. I prefer to outrun challengers on the twisty roads.

I agree 100%.

Subaru's don't belong on the dragstip anyway. I think it's stupid. If we're going to put WRX's on the dragstrip, then logically we should take Camaro's and Mustangs rally racing in the dirt. :rolleyes:

If you want to get the best launch, rev it up to 5000 and dump it, and don't blame me when your tranny ends up on the ground. If you have any sympathy for your car at all, rev it up to about 3000 and just ride it out, let the car catch up to the engine.

Not Sube's responsibility.

If you regularly start from a standstill with over 3000rpm on the clock - nevermind the 5000rpm that really gets things moving - then your car ain't gonna last. No car will.

Porsche Turbos tend to twist and snap their drive axles during the sub-five-second launches that they put in the technical data. Is Porsche a weak car?

Its is subes problem. They said the WRX can go 0-60 in 5.4 secs, they advertised this every were, so that is a service that car provides sence they advertise it, and since its a service the car provides it should be able to with stand this treatment untill it at aleast out of warrenty.

Trucks advertise that they can tow a certain amount and they can with out problems theres no diffrence. And just becasue Porsche does the same thing dosent mean its not a problem that Subaru and Porshe i guess share.

If Subaru dident want people to abuse the car drag racing,then why did they advertise it as a drag racer? I agree drag racing dosent seem like thatmuch fun, or that meuch a test of a well rounded car but subaru did push it.

Its is subes problem. They said the WRX can go 0-60 in 5.4 secs, they advertised this every were, so that is a service that car provides sence they advertise it, and since its a service the car provides it should be able to with stand this treatment untill it at aleast out of warrenty.

Trucks advertise that they can tow a certain amount and they can with out problems theres no diffrence. And just becasue Porsche does the same thing dosent mean its not a problem that Subaru and Porshe i guess share.

There is a big difference. Trucks are rated for a recommended towing capacity, not the maximum that they can tow. The 0-60 number is the fastest the car can accelerate, not the recommended acceleration.

There is a big difference. Trucks are rated for a recommended towing capacity, not the maximum that they can tow. The 0-60 number is the fastest the car can accelerate, not the recommended acceleration.

Truck companies advertise there recomneded towing capacities, and you wont have your warrenty voided for going up to that weight. Subaru advertised that the WRX can go 0-60 in 5.4 secs, thats what they said it can do, sence they did that they gave the ar the feature, and it should be able to perform that feature with out problems, if subaru said the WRX can go 0-60 in lets say 7 secs then people who drag raced and knew they were running lower times should expect broken parts. If Ford said there trucks can pull up to 30,000 pounds in a add, people would belive them and probley use it to do that, and if they couldent do that then Ford would be getting some pretty angrey customers, and probley alot of law suits.

Yes it does but how much longevity, is lost. Besides subaru published this number if it does push the drivtrain over the limit that subaru problem not the driver. Iam sure that the newer pickups would be able to tow there maxium trailer weight around with out that many problems, and if they did the dealers would replace the parts that broke. Besides this isent really affeting longevity, many people who only do a couple of very hard launches blow there trannie up. The drive train is to weak for how much power the WRX puts out, and how subaru advertises it as a drag racer.

If Subaru dident want people to abuse the car drag racing,then why did they advertise it as a drag racer? I agree drag racing dosent seem like thatmuch fun, or that meuch a test of a well rounded car but subaru did push it.

I have never seen the WRX advertised as a drag racer. The 0-60 times of just about every car is published. The WRX got so much press because it was so suprising out of a Subaru. I HAVE seen ads of the WRX and it's rally roots, but I have never seen a Subaru supported article, advertisment or picture of the WRX drag racing

Subaru did advertise it as a drag racer when they saying in there adds in can go so fast in a stright line, they stated this in almost every add for the WRX, in many diffrent frazses. Subaru did publish its 0-60 time of 5.4 secs, many cars are underrated for this reason they may be able to shave of .5 secs off what the manufactor claims but that would put push the drivtrain over the limit, so they dont. Subaru did do this when the WRX first came out it was advertized as 0-60 in 6.2 secs which i bet did not dool out near as much abuse as the 5.4 sec run did that was done by car and driver. All iam saying was it was stupid of subaru to advertise the WRX can do something that is complety detrmental to the cars longevity, and now subaru is getting what they deserve, lots of warrenty calim on blown up trannmision from doing what the suabru advertized.

again...I've never seen a Subaru ad that touted it's "straight line" capability. Have an example? Every car that is sporty in any way has it's 0-60 times published. Read a car review in any mag however stoic and see if it isn't there. As far as Subaru changing the times, I think that is a red herring. They changed the US spec plans several times before the car appeared stateside...that isn't suprising, we'd been waiting for this car for a decade.

again...I've never seen a Subaru ad that touted it's "straight line" capability. Have an example? Every car that is sporty in any way has it's 0-60 times published. Read a car review in any mag however stoic and see if it isn't there. As far as Subaru changing the times, I think that is a red herring. They changed the US spec plans several times before the car appeared stateside...that isn't suprising, we'd been waiting for this car for a decade.

Well if every sprts car toughts it 0-60 time it should be able to ahndle it if you do it. Theres a diffrence between what a car mag syas is its 0-60 time and the time the company continuasly uses and brags about, to help sell the car.

This is from a subaru add for the WRX in the october 2002 sport compact car magazine, pg.49

"Earth shaking power. Ground Shreding traction. Be careful wherer you point it."

Further in the add. "The rusalts is 0-60 in 5.4secs, along with the ability to turn a twisted mountain road into your own personal roller coaster."

This add seems to really be pusing the traction and power of the WRX 2 key componets to a drag racer.

Another add december 2001 sport compact car pg 11-12.

"it dosent have a wing or a jet engine. But the subaru wrx definitly flies. while the all wheel drive helps fasten to your seat asphalt, the 227 horse turbo engine hurls you 0-60 in 5.8 secs"

This add also focusing on the 0-60 time subaru did push the WRX as a drag car.