Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i want more horsepower(ej22)

i have a 99 legacy ej22 with a 5 speed manual. I was wandering what i could do to take my car from 142 horsepower up close to 200 without going to a turbo or engine swap. And would my stock tranny hold with 200 horsepower. Any ideas for power gain would help.

i have a 99 legacy ej22 with a 5 speed manual. I was wandering what i could do to take my car from 142 horsepower up close to 200 without going to a turbo or engine swap. And would my stock tranny hold with 200 horsepower. Any ideas for power gain would help.

I'm thinknig your legacy tranny could handle 200hp, with reccomended fluid changes, and as long as your not too hard on it.

you'd need: better flow in your heads*, cams, intake work, bigger injectors, exhaust, engine management.

*Ej22 heads flow poorly. you COULD port them and do alot of insane head work, but I reccomend finding Ej20 heads. the difference between an EJ20 head and an EJ22 head is ENORMOUS. if you can find EJ20 heads it'll raise compression and also increase flow... from 9.5:1 to about 10.5:1 CR. you'd need to run premium, but at least you can get it at every pump.

with better flow, and more fuel needed, you'd want bigger injectors. not too huge, but something to compensate so you don't run lean.

And don't count on getting good gas mileage.

Well, for that sort of horsepower gain, you must replace the camshafts. Standard lobe profiles will not produce 200bhp.

The transmission is going to be stressed quite a lot more. And it's the weakest part of the car, relatively speaking. 200bhp is a lot.

For sure the clutch will not hold up to this. While you have the engine out to replace the camshafts, grind the heads and fit metal gaskets, make sure you fit an uprated clutch.

New injectors would also reduce fuel delivery problems, along with a new regulator and pump.