Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a EA82 be put into a gen1 Brat

I have a 78 Brat that I was thinking of trying to put a EA82T from a 87 GL10 Turbo wagon. Is it possible? If so what all would I need to take off the wagon to make the change. Also, will the disk brakes fit on the back? I know they will fit on a gen two brat but will they fit on a gen 1 Brat? Any help would be appeciated.

No Way! Absolutely impossible.....

Actually, it is a lot of fab work and wiring harness hell but it's possible. There where a lot of difficulties in the swap some of which I don't remeber at the moment....

As calebz pointed out to me when I was contemplating a motor swap into my gen 1 brat

and I quote "anything will fit if you want it bad enough.."

in fact, check this out if you haven't already: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kerrtw/

You can take a look around my photo album to get soem idea of the fabrication needed to shoe horn the EA82 in a gen 1.

http://usmb.net/gallery/garners-sub-a-rama

garner

post-1808-136027596076_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to see it can be done! I am in no major hurry. I just need to strip the wagon of everything I will need to make this work. Then I will just have to find a transmission for this. I sure am not going to use the burnt up auto that is in the GL 10 wagon.Again, will the disc brakes off the back of the GL 10 wagon fit on to the gen1 Brat?

Wow! Now that I have really taken a good look at the work Garner did on his gen 1 Brat I am really impressed. Lots of work but I think it would be worth it. Still lookinbg to see if anybody has a answer to my rear disc brake conversion question. Come on, Somebody has got to know if it can be done on a gen 1 Brat or not!

yes it can be done. I haven't done it myself yet but I plan on doing it to my gen 1 wagon. I've heard that all you need are the rear hubs, backing plates, calipers and the bolts. Its ALMOST a direct bolt on but you have to grind a little bit off of the trailing arm to get one of the bolts to fit. Try it and find out:D