Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the Forester really an SUV?

I was just reading thread on Foresters taking 1st place in the crash tests,

but.....

Is the Forester really an SUV?????

I have one and I love it dearly but I really don't consider it an SUV. If they gave us a dual range tranny (like Aus) I might be able to think of it as a "Mini SUV"

But as is I have a hard time thinking of a Forester as an SUV :eek:

Thoughts...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---pure assalt vehicle---

01 Forester---small AWD wagon---

It's classified as a small SUV, along with the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4.

I think people forget what SUV stands for: Sport Utility Vehicle. I would think this means the vehicle needs to be relatively "sporty". There's nothing "sporty" about a Chevy Suburban or Hummer H2 :)

That's just my opinion though.

but.....

I have one and I love it dearly but I really don't consider it an SUV. If they gave us a dual range tranny (like Aus) I might be able to think of it as a "Mini SUV"

But as is I have a hard time thinking of a Forester as an SUV :eek:

Thoughts...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer---pure assalt vehicle---

01 Forester---small AWD wagon---

It's a mini-SUV in the same category as the Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4. It was one of the first "crossover" vehicles.

~Howard

:banana:

but.....

Remember a Forester is just a impreza with a raised roof. Since a impreza is a car.... but a CRV is a civic with a raised roof...:brow:

I think people forget what SUV stands for: Sport Utility Vehicle. I would think this means the vehicle needs to be relatively "sporty". There's nothing "sporty" about a Chevy Suburban or Hummer H2 :)

4-wheeling is a sport, isn't it? It's done for fun and challenge. By that definition, a Jeep Wrangler is "sporty". Not sure about the utility - Wranglers aren't so good for hauling your family and loads of stuff, but they sure are fun.

A Suburban definitely isn't "sporty", but it is utilitarian. Good for big families, hauling boats, work trucks, plowing snow, etc.

I don't know how the H2 would fit in. I think folks buy them to make up for other shortcomings.

Just my two cents....

Far as I can tell its classified as a 'light truck'. It's always listed in parts books under 'trucks' or 'light truck/suv' sections.
The manufacturers get import, tax and emission/safety standards breaks on 'light trucks'. Pity they don't actually make a pickup truck version of the Forester. For THAT I would break my hard and fast "never buy a new car" rule.

I love Subarus, I NEED a light pickup, not a heavy hauler, just around the house and toy hauling.

The manufacturers get import, tax and emission/safety standards breaks on 'light trucks'. Pity they don't actually make a pickup truck version of the Forester. For THAT I would break my hard and fast "never buy a new car" rule.

I love Subarus, I NEED a light pickup, not a heavy hauler, just around the house and toy hauling.

It's still a light truck/suv tho. Plenty of people call their oversized minivans trucks/suvs :rolleyes: I doubt the US would just take their word for it; I'm sure they had to prove it was a light truck/suv to get classified as one. Otherwise what would stop everyone from exploiting that and classifying all their imports as truck/suv ?

S Small

U Utility

V Vehicle?

It's a small AWD Wagon! How is it more utility than the Outback? Which is not a utility vehicle? There both small AWD Wagons!

Not SUV's :eek:

I think both the OB and Forrester are

S Sport

A Activity

W Wagons

Borrowing from all schools of thought.:)