Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"bed liner" for Outback or Forester?

Hi folks, i'm in the market for a nice used station wagon, and one of the features i want is some sort of plasticized cargo space. I want to be able to haul messy stuff (recycling, yard waste, etc) and not worry about messing up any nice carpeting.

Does anyone know if i can buy an Outback or Forester, or some other Subaru station-wagon-esque vehicle with this feature? Or maybe there's an after-market add-on i could buy.

Other stuff i'd want in the car are: 4 doors so i can stuff the kids in the back easily, and 4 wheel drive for the snow.

Please help a clueless noob!

The outbacks come with a very nice rubber tray which will catch the junk and can be easily slid out for cleanup. There is a nice grade of carpet underneath and a lift up lid which covers the spare tire well. The lift up lid would make the installation of a traditional bedliner that went up the sides (which are a wipeable vinyl) difficult. If that isn't good enough, you could probably talk a spray on bedliner dealer into doing the interior panels up in the stuff they use on pickup beds, I have that on my ford pickup and it's very tough and beats a regular bedliner in that it holds objects in place while driving while a regular bedliner lets everything slide around with every vehicle movement. An extensive amount of masking would be required to do this and I have no idea how many vapors would be released into the cabin while curing

Hi folks, i'm in the market for a nice used station wagon, and one of the features i want is some sort of plasticized cargo space. I want to be able to haul messy stuff (recycling, yard waste, etc) and not worry about messing up any nice carpeting.

Does anyone know if i can buy an Outback or Forester, or some other Subaru station-wagon-esque vehicle with this feature? Or maybe there's an after-market add-on i could buy.

Other stuff i'd want in the car are: 4 doors so i can stuff the kids in the back easily, and 4 wheel drive for the snow.

Please help a clueless noob!

A cheap fix is to go get a rubber pond liner and cut it to fit the rear end. It cost under 20 dollars and can go from the rear to back of the seats.