Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to know whether you can feel the AWD system in an auto engaging an disengaging while you're driving, AKA does the car spin, grab, spin, grab or are the release pulses fast enough on the clutch pack so it is not noticeable. I've been advising a new subaru to a ford explorer owner and his main complaint was that the ford's AWD system would cycle while he was slipping and it made the SUV very hard to control. His quote: "I was getting passed by crusty old beater chevies and and fords which had real 4wd, and i felt so dumb slippin around in my Explorer." He wants an automatic, but I don't want to lead him down the same path he's just been on.

You'll never even know it's there.

Subaru AWD is invisible to the operator. You'll run straight, true and fast on any surface. We consistantly drive 60-65 mph on snow roads all winter in Montana We DO have to mind the Ford Exploders, we have to slow down for tham ... to avoid the wreckers pulling them out of the borrow ditches.

Last winter was the first for me and my Outback (auto tranny). Naturally, I had to test its limits:grin:

In normal driving, you never notice the clutch pack doing its thing. The car just goes, very smooth and confident handling.

In more spirited driving ("Closed course. Professional driver. Do not attempt."), you can feel the balance change as the clutch pack changes torque distribution. The transitions are smooth and predictable. There's no "spin, grab, spin, grab" like you mentioned.