Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing front suspension?

How hard is it to remove the front suspension assembly from an ea81 as a whole unit?

I'm looking to unbolt mine from the wagon to slide it under a hatch I'm picking up. I know the rear assembly is a piece of cake, I've done it before. I'm just hoping the front end isn't much more complicated. :-\

How hard is it to remove the front suspension assembly from an ea81 as a whole unit?

I'm looking to unbolt mine from the wagon to slide it under a hatch I'm picking up. I know the rear assembly is a piece of cake, I've done it before. I'm just hoping the front end isn't much more complicated. :-\

Not too bad... the brakes have got to be the biggest bummer cause you have to re-bleed them when you put them on the new car

Youve got the 2 bolts on each side up top for the strut mounts. the bolts for the control arm bushings. The nut that holds the radius rods in their mounts near the transaxle crossmember. Just take off the sway bar all together and do one side at a time. The tie rod ends will thread out, just leave the outer ends on the knuckles. you could get away with just taking the axles out at the transaxle side. brake lines have to be disconnected "somewhere"

I cant think of anything else that holds that all in

-Mike

Not too bad... the brakes have got to be the biggest bummer cause you have to re-bleed them when you put them on the new car

Youve got the 2 bolts on each side up top for the strut mounts. the bolts for the control arm bushings. The nut that holds the radius rods in their mounts near the transaxle crossmember. Just take off the sway bar all together and do one side at a time. The tie rod ends will thread out, just leave the outer ends on the knuckles. you could get away with just taking the axles out at the transaxle side. brake lines have to be disconnected "somewhere"

I cant think of anything else that holds that all in

-Mike

That doesn't sound too bad, does it have any effect on it if the motor is still in the car?

you could leave the calipers on each car if possible.

i think keeping the engine suspended would be the big thing. assuming you're talking about the whole crossmember.

Ok well that answers that then. :D

I removed my engine, tranny, crossmember, struts, wheels & tires as a whole unit. It was easy!

I put the whole thing in the buggy as a unit too. Just supported the engine and lowered the buggy on the engine / crossmember etc...

It doesn't take long... You can have it mostly done in 20 minutes! :eek:

Good luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

you can remove the whole front suspension, motor, and tranny as a unit.

assuming you want to take the motor and tranny with, here goes:

you can leave the y-pipe connected to the motor and its tranny mount.

unbolt the 4 14mm nuts that hold the engine crossmember. undo the 12mm bolt at the steering linkage on the rack. undo the front rubber brake lines from the body. unbolt the strut cap from the body, 2 12mm nuts.

where the radius rods and tranny crossmember meet, remove the 3 17mm bolts that hold the mounting plates. disconnect the parking brake cables from the hand lever end. undo all the wires, hoses, pitchbar, and tranny SHIFTER mount. the whole assembly will drop down

if you want to leave the tranny and motor in the car, remove the axles from the tranny end, unbolt the motor mounts from the crossmember, remove the exhaust y-pipe. leave the pitch bar connected. undo the ends of the radius rods as posted renaissance man.

leave jack stands on the motor and tranny, one between the motor and tranny under the diff/flywheel, and the other on the tail of the tranny., drop the suspension away

the suspension should come out as a unit, crossmember, struts, swaybar/radiousrods(and tranny mount if motor comes with) it is not neessary to remove any axles or brake calipers, and you can leave the tierods and balljounts alone