Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear pinion nut torque spec?

Guest taprackready

I don't have my manual at work to look it up. However I've done several of these types of seals on other vehicles like my Suburban, and FJ40 Toyota Landcruiser. Basically, you mark where the nut is now, count the number of exposed threads on the pinion before you remove the nut. Remove nut, replace seal and put it back on to the same place where you put your mark with the same number of exposed threads then it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

I don't have my manual at work to look it up. However I've done several of these types of seals on other vehicles like my Suburban, and FJ40 Toyota Landcruiser. Basically, you mark where the nut is now, count the number of exposed threads on the pinion before you remove the nut. Remove nut, replace seal and put it back on to the same place where you put your mark with the same number of exposed threads then it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

for seal replacement this is the proper method.

if you actually retorque it you may overtighten the crush sleve and cause bearing failure.

I would recomend using loctite on the nut and lube the seal really good.