Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant leaking into exhaust

Well I dropped my ea82t into my gl10 last week. Ok good so far, untill i layed down to tighten my exhaust. I noticed coolant dripping off the passengers side head exhaust nut, also it was pooling arround the gasket. So i assumed it was THAT head blown as theres no other way to get coolant into your exhaust right? So i ripped the engine out again, and when i took off the exhaust, it had about 3-5 cups of fluid in there. It wasnt high enough to leak out either of the exhaust/head flange it was just collected down in the bottom. So seeing as i saw it pooling out of the passenger side gasket only, that would mean it was coming from that head. right? ok good.

So I tore off the head, and i saw nothing out of the ordinary, small cracks in-between the valves, but they didnt look too bad. but i see nothing wrong. its kind of irritating. ive never seen a bad head up close so i cant tell if this one is bad. the cracks are only inbetween the valves, i dont think they touch the valve seats, and i cant tell if they extend to the guides, to inspect them do yall usually take out the valve springs?

i dont know, if i cant tell visually ill just take it down to get it checked out.

thanks Tyler

THIS JUST IN! ok well every 10 minutes i run back out to the garage and flashlight arround in the head looking for the culprit, and i believe i found it. I looked at the exhaust on one side of the head, all the way arround the inside (valve open) and it looked fine, then i switched to the other exhaust side, valve open, looked all arrond, and directly beneath the crack inbetween the valves, on the "other side" of the valve, there was a crack running vertically towards the guide. it didnt connect to the guide or to the valve seat it was just there, and it looked to be bad. Is this the "bad" crack. if so woohoo i found it.

thanks, Tyler J.

about the heads, i have taken good heads off to see that the cracks between the valves did go all the way to the valve guides. the heads were good to begin with, so we ported them out and used them on a carb block.

as far as coolant in the exhaust, look for cracks in the EXHAUST PORT, there is where the water passage is, if you havent found a crack in the exhaust port, clean it up really good and you should find it. it will go from the septum in the exhaust port up into the head. bet you a dollar.

miles. the "bad" crack is inside the exhaust ports inbetween the valves right? well my crack was under the exhaust valve, inbetween the valves and it looked like it had a "shelf" that i didnt really like. i really dont have a doubt that this is a bad head, i'd just like to know how to tell whether ones bad or not.

anyway i just got back fromt a "Pull Your Part" and i ripped off a head that had those cracks in BOTH exhaust ports, so i politely threw it back.

thanks,

ps. i havnt seen you on in a while, good to see you back.

Tyler J.

what likes to happen on EA82Ts is they will crack between the valves in the combustion chamber and they like to crack inside the exhaust port where the two exhaust chambers come together. This is where a coolant line runs so it crakcs right into the exhaust creating some white smoke, and coolant residue inside the exhaust. Best bet is to find a better set of heads like either a gen 2 or gen 3 set. Gen 2's will be marked with an "E82" (note the line under the E82) and the gen 3's will be the same but it will have a box around the E82....

yah i meant more towards the webbing in the port and not so much around the valve guides. the cracks between the valves can be closed up with a punch. the only worry about cracks between the valves is that if the get too big it may drop a valve seat. if you have the heads serviced ask the mechanic to stake them in, or do it yourself with a chisel, just make a notch of aluminum over the seat in about 3 or 4 places