Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 GL 1600 4wd conversion?

I am currently looking at an 80 GL 1600 with a manual transmission. I have read through the article written by MorganM, and I am pretty sure that I can physically do the conversion. I removed and installed many a tranny/transfer on other 4wd's. Along with other miscelaneous mechanical work.

I am wondering if anyone has performed this conversion? Would it be worth it or should I look for one that has 4wd already?

Also, is the 80 GL with the 1600 engine so rare that it would be cost prohibitive to get parts for? Granted, given that there were models with 1800 during that year, so perhaps a swap wouldn't be out of the picture.

All opinions will be read.

M.....O..

Can be done? Yes.

From what I've read of others doing a conversion on an older wagon like your's it's a lot more work than the conversion I describe. Hopefully those people will step forward and describe this in more detail.

I'd almost look at a 1800 swap at the same time :) The 1800's are slow as dirt as it is... could not imagine a 1600! :slobber:

actually, all the '80 4WD's were 1600....

mine is the fastest soob I have ! not the quickest, but I can peg the speedo at 85.

I can hold 75 MPH with 29" tires :brow: If my speedo worked I'd find out how fast it would go! LOL

If all '80s are 1600's then parts shouldnt be TOO hard to get eh? How is availability at parts stores?

Also, reading through the article by McBrat about swapping a 85-89 5speed D/R into an 80-84 body style vehilce. I am sort of confused. Is an 80 GL 1600 considered and ea81? Granted the usage of ea81,ea82,...etc. is a bit confusing to me. I am a noob to the USMB lingo. The answer to that question will also clear up quite a few other part's questions I have.

But hey, if I can find the donor parts from a wrecked vehicle perhaps it would be possible. There is a substantial, not large, subaru base here. I may need to start calling the salvage yards to check on availability of parts. I have also spotted a hatch of the same style which looks to be solid (mostly rust free). I may have to speak with the owner on that one as well.

Thanks for the responses.

MatrixOps

Pop your hood. Look down at your engine. On the block in the middle twoards the front on top you can see a stamp that says EA81 or EA82 or whatever it is :)

Junkyards are great. I have MANY MANY junkyard upgrades on my EA82 wagon! Rage them boneyards!

i converted a 1980 1800 auto 2wd auto hatch to 4wd, and i didn't think it was that bad, but it was time consuming. i have heard, however that it is more dificult to convert a manual to 4wd because the tranny and therefore the tunnel is skinnier and the 4wd tranny won't fit without banging or cutting the tunnel. i don't nesseccarrily believe that, though on the 1980 models i suspect that the bodies were all the same. also a 1600 4wd tranny is pretty skinny. so i say go for it, but get a donor 4wd car so you have all the parts right there, otherwise you'll be making lots of trips to the junkyard as this and that come up.

actually, all the '80 4WD's were 1600....

mine is the fastest soob I have ! not the quickest, but I can peg the speedo at 85.

My 80 DL 4X hatch had an 1800 in it with a single range.

I'd almost say hold out for a 4X hatch with the 1800 and a dual range in it, 1982-89.

The 16 is getting hard to find parts for. And if hatches are plentyful enough in your area that you can aquire all the parts needed for a 2 to 4X swap, you should be able to find a 4X.

Keep the 2X for a daily while you get your 4X up to par. ie: lift, tires, weber. . .

Then use it for parts for your 4X.

(see attached)