Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The heat shield on my 94 Legacy has been vibrating/buzzing for some time. I've tried clamps, etc., but the noises always return. Is there any harm in removing the heat shield? I could see keeping it around the converter, but could the rest of it go? Thanks.

I have a 90 legacy AWD Wagon and I just recently removed my heat sheilds. Please understand that these serve double duty. First they protect your pipes from off-road hazards, then they are used as heat sheilds. If you remove them your Moab days are thru.

If this has no effect on you....RIP THEM SUCKERS OFF!! Use some WD-40 or the likes on the bolts first then they come off easy.

Hope this helps.

They also protect the underside of your car from excessive heat.

If you lean towards keeping them like I did, here's what I did a couple of months ago.

I bought two small batches of rustproof metal screws 3/4 and 1 inch long (YMMV) size 12 and 10 with corresponding drill bits (this info is usually printed on the box of screws).

I went under the car and drilled everywhere the shields were rattling (mostly at junction points) and screwed in the metal screws until they exerted pressure on the inside pipe. I used a standard metal screw to start the threads and then backed it off and replaced it each time with screws the point of which I had previously dulled with my bench grinder. I dont think using pointed screws would matter that much but I feel easier that way.

The only other thing I did was this: I found out that a good part of the noise was coming from a wide semi circular shied that's OVER the pipe just behing the cat If I remember well. The metal surrounding one of the front holding bolts had rusted away and the shield, when vibrating, was hitting the underside of the car. I removed the bolt, inserted a big washer and put the bolt back.

All of this worked perfectly and I can now enjoy the true sound of my boxer engine when I rev it pas 4000 in low gears.

Hope this helps.