Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crack in turbo housing

my turbo on my ea82t wagon has a crack in the housing between the impeller and the wastegate valve i was wondering if i should replace the unit or will it be all right to use it?

here are some pics of it

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sickxj/detail?.dir=2ade&.dnm=d874.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sickxj/detail?.dir=2ade&.dnm=d887.jpg

thanks,

Dylan

well, i go about stuff the wrong way i suppose, but i have run several rhb turbos, that had cracked cast iron. seems like fords and isuzus have the same thing happen (but much more often) and as long as it doesnt leak i say run it =].

but if your rebuilding a motor, or can find one easy enough, i would say replacing it would not hurt.

My daily driver [86 dl ea82t] has a seriously cracked housing, I'm looking to move up to a larger turbo but i've got 30,000km on it since i noticed the cracks and i'm really not all that concerned. I don't think you need to rush out and throw down cash immediately, but take a good look at the end play on the shaft. Make sure there's no rubbing cause if it's rubbin on the exhaust side it probly will on the intake side too. And that's no good.

I drove the wagon in my sig. with a cracked turbo for 3 seasons with no probs. Maybe there might be some exhaust leaking out the crack by the wastegate valve but not enough to effect boost i would think.:)

I could ship a turbo for cheap to Oregon I would think, I'll take a look while I'm at the graveyard.