Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84brat fuel pump in 89EFI?

Finally getting to this...my 89 pump is still working but probably won't last the winter...sooooo...I ordered a new pump but they don't carry the python injection pump that I ordered so instead they sent an oem Kyosan 84 brat pump (a more expensive and better quality pump but......) my guess is its not high pressure for EFI so it won't work.

Has anyone tried this? I just installed the thing but haven't wired the electrical...I have to cut the connector to spice in my oem plug...too bad if it won't work, I'll baby the rusty pump back in and try again...this is my daily driver, learned lots about fuel lines in the process but I wish i didn't have to repeat it with a new pump...icon9.gif

Does anyone know the hose ID on the inlet to the 89 fuel pump? It looks like 1/2 or 7/16, local autoshop doesn't carry anything bigger than 3/8. Outlet is 5/16.

Mike

thanks calebz, I won't bother trying icon7.gif

Anyone know of a substitute pump, 35-50 psi with any kind of inlet and 5/16 outlet?

The funny thing is the low pressure inlet of my stock pump looks like aluminum and is clean as the day it was installed, the outlet is as rusty as can be but still holds pressure.

I'm developing a sincere appreciation for undercoat. I need a pair of rust colored goggles for working underneath. Or like my friend Andy says, "Can't see it from my house."

89Ru

ok, napa fuel pump. its about the size of an ignitoin coil, and you have to use a bracked off of a subaru coil to mount it. works great for me and morganm, we both have them relocated to inside the car, so they cant be torn off, or packed with mud, but they are loud inside the cab :lol:

napa part # 2p74028

comes in a napa box, they will find one just like it for 95, but make them keep looking! they will eventually find one for around 40 bucks, i swear, you gotta find the guy that knows. =]

for reference i found it by telling them it was off of a ford truck of some sort, that also has an inline pump.

or get any efi subaru fuel pump out of the junkyard.

hope that helps

Archemitis,

Thanks for the napa info. $40 beats paying 200+ for the stock pump (Airtex E8059 from autopartsgiant). If I go with the napa pump I'll need 2 clamps and a coupling to go from the 1/2" ID of the gas tank hose to the 5/16" ID? of the napa pump...maybe napa sells these too. What did you use for the coupler? Brass? Nylon? Hose barb?

I hadn't thought of mounting it inside the cab. I'm not really serious about mounting it inside, but if I was I would need a lot of help in the form of this barrage of questions...

Where do you mount it? Under the rear seat? I'm curious about how to run the fuel lines...from the tank through an existing port, I see that the electrical goes through a rubber seal... How to get thru the firewall to the fuel filter? Do you run hard lines inside or soft?

I'll go to Napa tomorrow a.m. and see what they have.

Mike

CHIM,

I tried RedlineWeber and they referred me to Fast Freddy's at 800-821-2195.

The 45 psi, 34 gph fuel pump with a 12 mm inlet is out of stock (this is the one I would need) and the same with a 15 mm inlet is $175.

Thanks for the referral. Maybe some other folks can use it if they have stock later.

Mike

Napa trip: bought the P74028 pump for $107 (local shop here doesn't carry the 2P74028, but napaonline.com does, for $66) Its made by Federal Mogul or Carter, can't figure which.

Bought some 5/16 ID fuel-injection hoses, they don't fit tight like on my oem pump, the 5/16" hose on the pump is loose until it hits the seal flange. This pump's i/o isn't 1/4" by chance? The clamps that come with the pump are plastic, did you guys use a different hose clamp?

My rustbucket pump is happy for now and gets me to work, but I'm keeping the new pump in the sparky blue rolling toolbox with a coat hanger just in case.

What are you putting this pump into? I'm a little confused... I thought it was a Brat but its EFI?

I had to use a coupler for that Ford fuel pump. The hose coming from the tank to the pump is larger than the hoses from the pump to the engine or from the engine back to the tank.

I took a fitting used for air tools and some hose clamps. Slipped the big hose over the bigger end of the metal fitting, slipped a smaller fuel hose from the fitting (coupler) to the pump and clamped them all down tight. So far no leaks and it works fine. I've put lots of miles and offroaded it like this.

This is all on an '88 GL wagon, EA82 SPFI. A "new" pump was $255! Couldnt find any used ones :( I paid $70 for #2p74028 Looks like I should have bought it off the website!

i think its a very common pump to use for conversions, from carb to efi, on every kind of vehicle. i first found out about it when we were building a efi harley 103 inch stroker, in a chopper frame, at work...

but i bet they used to be 40 cuz they never sold any, now they are popular the price will only go up =/

i've got about 10k+ miles on mine.

This is going into my 89 EA82 SPFI as soon as I get the right coupler (and the weather is nice icon7.gif

Do you guys have new fuel tanks or clean tanks? I'm wondering if the high flow from this whizbang pump will stir up the crud in my original tank and clog the pump.

To mate with the (12mm??) line from the tank, I've been around looking for a 1/2" to 5/16" brass hose barb coupler (high pressure air fitting), but nothing yet. Best I've found so far is a two-piece rig from home depot...a 1/2 hose barb to 3/8 NPT, and NPT to 3/8 hose barb. The 5/16 fuel line strains a lot on the 3/8 hose barb...might split eventually...

cornerhardware.com has a lot of these fittings...but not much in 5/16"

I also asked a couple of places for a coil clamp and they just stared at me. Might have to make one out of galvanized pipe hanger or ???

thanks for your help on this...looks like a solution might not be far off.

89Ru