Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am wanting to change my alternator (loud scrapping noises when I start her!) I have a Subaru Legacy RS (93) however I am not to sure how to go about the change? If anyone has any advice that would be great it looks like it would be a straight forward job!! Is this scrapping noise a result of the alternator (a couple of people have suggested it is? Cheers

Be sure to remove the negative battery cable before you start and don't over tighten the drive belt when finished. After you loosen the drive belt, give the pully a spin and see if there is any drag that could cause your scraping noise.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

I received this from another nice guy by the name of Steve:) Cheers Steve!

I thought I would paste it in just in case someone has a similar problem, the search engine should pull this up.

Here it is!

Disconnect the two plugs (assuming the same as USDM) off the top using hands and a 10mm.

Loosen the 12mm horizontal bolt that holds the right side of the alternator to the brackets.

Loosen the alternator by turning the 12mm vertical bolt which should bring the alternator down.

Remove loose belt.

Remove horizontal bolt you loosened earlier and the horizontal bolt on the adjuster that you moved to loosen the alternator belt.

Reverse to instal.

Cheers!! ;)

Sorry everyone, just to add:

- You need to remove the belt guard from the top first. I think you loosen the one 10mm-head bolt holding it to the power steering pump, and then when you loosen the first 12mm-head bolt Steve mentioned the guard will come off.

- You should loosen the locking bolt that's holding the vertical bolt in place. It's the one facing the front of the car, and it also has a 12mm head I believe. If you don't do this the vertical bolt will back out without actually loosening the alternator.:drunk:

Be sure to remove the negative battery cable before you start and don't over tighten the drive belt when finished. After you loosen the drive belt, give the pully a spin and see if there is any drag that could cause your scraping noise.
Hi Suzam, yeah your right about the negative cable. One thing my bleemin alarm is connected to it (Dynatron) when I remove it the alarm goes off!! What do I do?

Look under your dash or under your hood. There should be a fuse that you can dissconect for your alarm. Not most alarms have battery back up but I guess you are one of the lucky ones. Look for the "black box" it will most likely be mounted up by your ECU and TCU. Also check the drivers and passengers side kick panel. I have been know to stuff them under the seats to really mess with theifs.

The black box will be about 4in by 4in and have alot of pretty wires coming out of it all neatly wrapped...or look like colored pasta tossed in the air if it wasn't done correctly.

Shoot me an IM if you have any more alarm questions. I used to install them professionaly.