Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why?

I would post on http://www.subaru-svx.net there all obesed with SVXs and know about any thing you could imagine.

All the modle year SVXs are pretty much the same, 92 they dident have a speed limiter 144MPH tho :brow: and iam pround of that for mine. The svxs prety much slowly gained weight throught the time it was in production so genrally the leather 92 AWD will weigh less than a leather 97 AWD. The trannie wasent really improved in latter modles they just came without a screen in the auto cooloer which could clog and cause over heating problems, and the they came with a extra external fileter which should already have been put on a any SVX you buy, since there was a recall for it. In 97 suabru gave the SVX a diffrent grill which most people think made it look better and i agree and would buy one if i had some extra money and put it on my car. I think in 97 they reduced the width of the wheels .5 inches to 7 i think, or made the stock tires 215, instead of 225. The strut top mounts were improved on latter ones, i think 94 and later becasue the earlier ones would wear out faster and cause a thunk sound over hard bumps. Its worth getting one that has been taken care of becasue replacment parts are expensive and harder to find then some cars. They also started to paint the rear deck lid in latter years, not sure which year they started the diffrent paint cheme tho. The 97 are the most desirable to a colector, genraly lowest mileage, and better condtion becasue of the lower milage. If i were to get another one i would get a good contion 92, there cheap and basicly the same car as the newer ones with out the huge price.

When looking for a SVX i would definitly pay attention to:

1.Brakes they can warp, but this is due to the pads suposibley. Ive upgarded my pads to metal masters and they havent wapred yet.

2.The power sterring rack can go out, becasue of leaks so check for that. Mine has aleak out the HP line that i need to fix, it may jsut be a the low presure line and that is fairley easy to replace and is cheap tho so check.

3. Rear wheel bearings go out fairly easy and are expensive to replace so check those.

4. The trannie will start to slip becasue of over heating the fluid so check for slow shifts and a sliping trannie. Or one that just doesent feel good.

I wasnt asking why buy an svx (I'm in love with the cars), I was asking why a 97.

No real reason, the best i can come up with its the newest modle, but its in a line that wasent really chaged or improved really so theres no real benifit except less years and probley miles, for other driversand nature to fight it, also its the rarest years only i think under 1000 were built.

• 6 months later...