Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You tell me what you think it is...I thought I knew

Ok ladies and gentleman. As most of you know I have a 1990 Subaru Legacy L AWD wagon that is my pride and joy. As some of you know I am having issues with her lately. Below I am going to describe what she is doing so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

When started she seems to idle fine for a second but then losses power and will almost stall if I turn the steering wheel without letting it warm up for a minute or so.

When accelerating it has no power but seems to get a little power boost around second or third gear. (strange) The tranny is working fine though.

I gutted the cat (front) so now it sounds like a tin can full of rocks when trying to accelerate but is dead silent at idle.

The car shakes badly at idle but does not want to stall.

The check engine light just recently came on with code 32 (o2 sensor). I cleared it out but it came back when I mashed the gas the first time.

I changed the plug to Bosh plat +2 about 4K ago (should have used NGK's) the wires I believe to be stock. (they are red, unsure) Oil is changed every 3K or sooner if needed.

I just did the oil pump seal. When installing the timing belt I lined up the notches to the best of my abiltiy. I keep looking at the marks but they look to be dead on but I can't rule out the belt.

Somebody...anybody. I am contumplating just getting a new engine if this one is going to take up too much time and money.

that also has the second kitty cat on it right?

perhaps chunk from the first kitty migrated to teh second one and is partially pluggin it up

and i second the o2 unplugging

also disconnect the maf sensor and see if that make a difference if it does not..

then welll

new maf time or megasquirt :)

Tommorow I will be changing out the plugs, wires, o2 sensor and putting on a new timing belt. (so I will know for sure that the timing is dead on) I will also put a new fuel filter on her as well. I checked the air filter and I can still see alot of light through it still.

Thanks for all the advise. If all this fails I will be looking for a vacum leak. If that doesn't work then it is buh bye with the old and hello to the new.

You think the plugs are the problem? Explain the loss of power (wanting to stall) when I put it into gear when the car is not warmed up. It has even gotten to the point where all the dash lights (like it stalled) come on but it catches at the last second and stays running.

THAWA on multiple threads has advised you to change out the plugs from bosch to ngk. It's cheap and easy to do, as opposed to buying and dropping in a new engine. You keep asking for advise, and then ignore it. If you want a new engine because it's what you really want, then just do it already! If you do drop in a new engine, take pictures of the process please! :banana:

I have never ignored advise. I just think it is a little strange that the plugs that worked for soooo well over four-thousand miles, would cause my car to run like SHEEEEOT. I can understand missing but when it wants to stall when put into gear or the wheel is turned sharp...hmm. I will change the plugs tonight and see what happens.

11:00pm Tuesday:

I changed out the plugs to NGK V-powers, changed the plug wires to Xact OE's, changed the fuel filter to purolater (something like that) and unplugged the o2 sensor.

She runs alot better but I noticed that the timing marks (I coated them in whiteout for more visibility) appear to be off. The left cam (pass side) appears to be TDC, the crank appears to be cocked to the left a tad and so does the right cam. Tommorow I swap out the belt. Should I go with the standard belt or the neoprene? Any suggestions? I will also be replacing the o2 while I am at it.

The belt is fine, that's just how it is. I dont think anyone has an explanation for it, but everyone that's done a t-belt job has had the same thing happen to them, either the pass side will line up and the other two dont, or the other two line up and the pass doesnt, or drivers, or something. The belt is fine.

Also I didn't know there were neoprene SOHC belts. Dont hold out if you've found em! :)

neoprene is overrated for the price, o2 sensor change, and clean out the intake with berrymans crb intake and injector cleaner, fill tank and add berrymans gas treatment, this should have been done before filter change. If the car has been fed some bad gas before thata caused deposits in the fuel lines they could wreck havoc on new filter, seein's how it's only a '90 that shouldn't be a problem, unless it has gotten lot's of bad gas. That doesnt mean that's your problem, just that you were running so bad that you probably carboned up everything and to keep the problem from coming back soon it could use a good cleaning. If the o2 sensor went bad it could have been sending to much gas and thus fouled the plugs, your tune up will probably help lot's. But if there was a problem it will just keep coming back to haunt you if you haven't fixed it.

I used a bottle of S-1 redline fuel treatment about a week ago. She seemed to run realy good for a few days then went down hill. I think the fuel filter was really gummed up because when I pulled it out and dumped it, there was what appeared to be dirty (greyish) gas coming from the "in" side. Thanks for the tip on the neoprene. I will just purchase the rubber belt.