Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Starting problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dumbs

dumbs

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Houston

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:04 AM

Hi
I bought a 1996 Subaru Legacy a week ago. It has 118k miles on it. The car runs smooth. A couple of days after I bought it the check engine light went ON. The I started having starting porblems.

The engine cranks but does not start. If I try to start again the same thing happens. After a couple of trys it fails to crank too. All I could hear is the "tak" sound. (I guess the battery gets discharged) I give it some time and then I try it starts (sometimes in neutral) This happens once in a while and there is no pattern to it. After a car wash it would not crank too. It just gave me the "tak" noise. I put it to neutral and it started after repeated tries. The battery is new and the headlights were working fine when I couldn't start.

Can anyone help me?

#2 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:38 AM

A little trouble shooting is in order.

Get the codes from the check engine light. Since it won't start, you can't drive it to AutoZone to get the codes read, but I think they will loan the scan tool for a deposit. Get back to the board with the codes.

Check for spark and fuel. An internet search should produce some basic automotive trouble shooting sites. Remove a plug and see if it's wet with fuel. Hold a plug wire about a 1/4" from ground and crank. Don't put the wire against your tounge like you're testing a 9 volt radio battery.

The car wash part suggests you have bad ignition wires, coil or some other electrical problem. When it is running, mist the ignition components in a dark area and look for arcing.

Good luck and get back.

#3 dumbs

dumbs

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Houston

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:54 PM

I was able to get it to pep boys and the code it generated was P115 - engine coolant temperature sensor. Would that help in anyway to solve the problem?

Thanx for the quick reply

#4 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:40 PM

I've heard of the coolant temp sensor creating hard starting. The ECU isn't getting the right temp reading, thereby using the wrong fuel maps. It could be your problem. You will want to fix it, as it will reduce gas milage and increase pollutants.

Another common probem is contacts in the starter. Your car is of that age where it seems to happen.

Good luck.

Commuter

#5 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:50 PM

OK. You're off to a good start. Problem may well be the coolant sensor. Maybe someone can tell you what resistance it should read cold and hot if you want to check it out. Probably just as easy to replace it. Once it's in, have Manny clear the codes and you should be good to go. The computer may have to re-learn what a good running engine is.

#6 dumbs

dumbs

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Houston

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:03 AM

Thank you guys for the help. I will replace the sensor asap. thans a lot.

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:27 PM

I am not sure what you mean by the "tak" sound. If you mean that to say that the starter motor isn't turning the engine over, then changing the sensor will not help with this problem but you do need a new sensor anyways.

If the starter is intermitant and the connections an leads have been checked for a problem then you most likely have some bad solenoid contacts in the starter as was suggested by Commuter. These can be replaced for less than $10 in parts costs.

#8 diga

diga

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Lithuania

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:36 PM

I was able to get it to pep boys and the code it generated was P115 - engine coolant temperature sensor. Would that help in anyway to solve the problem?

Yes, it should. At least it helped for me with the same symptoms of (not) starting.

Egidijus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users