Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lens protection for fogs on '03 Legacy GT

I have a 98 GT with fogs down in the lower bumper. Lense is plastic so pretty hard to break but easily pitted. No covers I know of so you'd have to make something yourself. You could easily use a screen material using the attaching bolts which sit up on the top front edge of the lights.

If they are pitted you can clean them up somewhat with a plastic polish as used on the headlights. I noticed that mine were aimed very low at the factory so I turned them up a bit without affecting oncoming drivers. Also using a yellow coated bulb helped in the fog.

Glenn

My Mom just bought a '03 GT sedan it has the factory front fog lights. Is there any grilles I can by for these so rocks kicked up by cars in front of her don't bust the lenses?? These glass or plastic, how delicate are they?

Seeing that you probably don't offroad with a GT you may want to consider a clear DOT approved protective film.

3M makes a lens film that protects lens pretty well. Many places will have in stock pre-cut for your particular make and model car. Try a search for Griot's garage on the web...these guys are pricey so pricing them around may be to your benefit.

RockBlocker. I have them on mine, though I just have the flat cut-it yourself style for my glass discontinued OEM fogs. Quality product.

-Heikki

What do you mean DISCONTINUED?? I checked on lens for the fogs on my Mom's '03 and they are $270 a piece!!! I have to do something to protect the lenses that price is crazy!! The guy at the parts dept. at the stealership said he thought the lens on the fogs were glass?? Thanks for the source lead on Rockblocker. Rockblockeris that clear, sticker type stuff, do you have it as paint protection also???

Joel

Mine is a 98 so it may be a bit different. There are two hex head bolts that hold the assembly in place. Remove them and the whole unit come out. You were quoted a price for the entire light as the lens can not be changed by itself.

If you pull the unit you can look to build a screen that will cover the lens area.

You will get some snow trapped between the lens and the screen in winter. FYI I have 138K miles on mine in Vermont and have not broken the lense yet.

Glenn

Thanks, is there a mounting bolt upper and lower to attach the screening to?? How is your GT in the snow??

Sorry forgot to address your snow question. I have a seperate set of 15" mags from an Outback that I use for my snows. Car is great and only issue has been clearance on very few occasions. Tire Warehouse carries Semperit SportGrip snows for a lot less than Blizzak or Hakkas, I use a 205/60-15 snow to get same diameter as my summers.

Thanks, is there a mounting bolt upper and lower to attach the screening to?? How is your GT in the snow??

www.rockblocker.com

or

www.stongard.com

i have stongard on all of my subaru's

on the lights as well as the paint

stuff... works.... great!!!

after spending $100 per fog light lense...

and after breaking 2 of them...

installed the stongard for $24.95 and never looked back

3 years later, still working, still clear, no yellow, no fading.

hope this helps

Jamie

The foglights and lenses (glass) for my older ('96) car are no longer being produced and are no longer available from SoA. I have the flat diffuser style which are not all that common. They are in fact discontinued.

It seems that 5 years after a body style is discontinued its accessories are no longer a priority for SoA, understandably so.

While it is not all that likely that one of these will ever break, its not a chance I am willing to take when I can greatly reduce the risk for ~$20.

I purchased the heavier rockblocker (80 mil ?) in the flat style (not one of the custom-cut products) and it seems like a great product.

I have not used the paint protection system as it seems like something that I would think is better suited for new cars. I have, however, heard good reviews of the paint protection products.

-Heikki

The foglights and lenses (glass) for my older ('96) car are no longer being produced and are no longer available from SoA. I have the flat diffuser style which are not all that common. They are in fact discontinued.

It seems that 5 years after a body style is discontinued its accessories are no longer a priority for SoA, understandably so.

While it is not all that likely that one of these will ever break, its not a chance I am willing to take when I can greatly reduce the risk for ~$20.

I purchased the heavier rockblocker (80 mil ?) in the flat style (not one of the custom-cut products) and it seems like a great product.

I have not used the paint protection system as it seems like something that I would think is better suited for new cars. I have, however, heard good reviews of the paint protection products.

-Heikki

The dealership is required to keep parts for your vehilce for 10 years btw.

My local stealership has them in stock.

I am trying to find an aftermarket fit, anyone try hella or others for their 96-99 outbacks?

The dealership is required to keep parts for your vehilce for 10 years btw.

My local stealership has them in stock.

I am trying to find an aftermarket fit, anyone try hella or others for their 96-99 outbacks?

I have heard of this 10 year rule. (Ford sure doesn't follow it for SHO parts...) Does it also apply to accessories? These are the fogs that I have:

mine_front_small.jpg

I had a heck of a time finding this set. Called all over the place, most places only had the projector stlyes and all said these were not available. Hopefully I'll never need another set :-\ .

-Heikki