Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, this is my first new post and as usual, it has to do with a problem. Anyway, my 97 impreza outback sport shifter seems to get stuck in park. This problem only started to happen during cold weather overnight. I've already done a little research and I believe I'm guilty of using the cup holder above the shifter (spills). Anyway, I've read in several different places that this can be remedied by cleaning dried up soda and coffe gunk that has built up over the years from the solenoid or switch that engages the shift lock. The only problem is I don't know how to get to them after taking off the plastic cover that access the manual release hole. Is threre anyone here who has completed this task and willing to post pictures or diagrams on how to access the shift lock mechanism for cleaning? I've tried to find a book at autozone but no luck there finding a book for the car you have as usual.

Thanks in advance.

What a pain in the butt.

My 98 did that as it sat in a body shop for like a year.

There is a switch up on the brake pedal if I remember correctly. Try lubing it up. Basically the switch confirms you are pressing the brake before shifting. Sometimes you can just hit the brake afew times, but it WILL stick again. So you need to lube it somehow.