Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback Seat Heater Switch???

Ok, I have a 98 outback limited with the heated seats.

Switches are in console. Light is burned out in left switch

for left seat. I removed console and can see no replaceable

bulbs. It looks like the unit is sealed. Do you have to replace the whole switch to get lights to work??? If so, can someone give me a part number and where to order.

Thanks In advance, Ken

I have a 97 Outback that had both lamps in the heater switchs burnt out along with the usual dash ones.

I removed the switches from the console and then carefully pryed the switches apart using a small standard screwdriver. You have to be cautious so as not to drop the switch once its apart, as there are pieces inside that you might lose.

Once apart, you will see two white rubber rings pressed down over two contact pins. These rubber rings hold the lamp filament wires in contact with the pins on the switch. Pry these rings up and you will be able to remove the small lamp.

I replaced the lamps with ones I got at Radio Shack.

Overall it is not a difficult job, just a delicate one.

P.S. - work on one switch at a time so that you can use the other switch as reference if you need to.

I have a 97 Outback that had both lamps in the heater switchs burnt out along with the usual dash ones.

I removed the switches from the console and then carefully pryed the switches apart using a small standard screwdriver. You have to be cautious so as not to drop the switch once its apart, as there are pieces inside that you might lose.

Once apart, you will see two white rubber rings pressed down over two contact pins. These rubber rings hold the lamp filament wires in contact with the pins on the switch. Pry these rings up and you will be able to remove the small lamp.

I replaced the lamps with ones I got at Radio Shack.

Overall it is not a difficult job, just a delicate one.

P.S. - work on one switch at a time so that you can use the other switch as reference if you need to.

Thanks,

That was what I was looking for, someone who has done it. I had the switch almost out but thought I might break it prying it out. I will give it a shot, wish me luck.

Thanks again, Ken