Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member trying to get an 87 RX, Clutch?

I am a new member here and am considering getting an 87 RX from sombody pretty soon. He's seeling it to me for ~$650 because it needs a new clutch. Everything else is fine. He did buy a new clutch, but hasn't installed it yet, so will include that with the car. I was doing some pricing around town here (Madison, WI) and got estimates of $650-700. As this seems a bit high, does anyone know where/how I can get it installed for a bit cheaper?

I don't think there's any chance of me doing it by myself. Altough it would be interesting to learn, I'm not by any means a mechanic. The most I've done is change my air filter in my Grand Am to a K&N. I might be Able to find a friend that knows how to do it, but I'm not sure.

Here's your second offer to drive out to CO and get it done for a pack of MGD and some swishers.. haha. come on, now, you can definately do it if you just rent a cherry picker (engine hoist) unbolt the engine, and its right there.. i put a clutch in my 88 RX and my dad's hoist gave out (litterally, the hydraulics rusted) just as i was putting it back in. get some gearhead friends and a do-it-yourself book or a knowledgeable friend, won't take you a day. heck, if you've got a big friend, you don't even need a hoist (seriously joking. don't do that).

I would vote for doing it yourself. It's REALLY easy on soobs compared to others. All you have to do is unbolt the engine and move it forward a few inches. Radiator removal is necessary, but aside from that you should be able to leave everything hooked up. This would be a great project for you to learn about the car and pick up a little wrenching skill. Just get a cherry picker, a shop manual, and a friend (preferably one that knows a little bit about cars) and dive in one weekend.

well on aim i am oddcomp hmm go figure

last clutch i just picked up for a rx infact cost me 150 from this place that edrach suggested :)

send a email to.. Theclutchplace@aol.com

tell em what year make and model 4wd turbo ect

for a clutch kit thats the disc the throwout bearing the pilot bearing and the pressure plate for a 85 rx it was 150 shipped ...

i imagine your would not be much away from that in price but i may be wrong

email and see!

you've already got the clutch, so ask some more clutch-specific auto shops if they will use the clutch you have and just perform the service. some shops wont do this for legal reasons, but chances are you will come across someone that is willing to do it for a lot cheaper than that. when they say $600+ they are including the price of a new clutch. ask as many places as you can, because there's always one shop out there that will do it dirt cheap since they know how to do it in under 6 hours. i am getting my 4wd clutch done (kit and service) for $471.54. not a cheap price, but compared to the other shops its nickels and dimes.

good luck, skeet

P.S. do it before winter, im not sure shops like working on clutches in the cold!

Nope, I specifically told them that I will have the clutch to install and confirmned it with them, Those were the prices I got from 2 different places. I still think there's no way I could do it myself, but I've been thinking of a couple of people who could do it/help me out. Thanks guys.

P.s.- Better go quick, then, its already getting chilly up here!

there are ways to lift the engine w/o having to use a cherry picker. as for help, i suggest you smooth-talk some people on the board near your area to help you with your clutch, and donate all the money you save on the clutch replacement to the board. take a board member to dinner and he/she'll im sure will help you. i would. (considering i knew how to do it myself)

• 2 weeks later...
there are ways to lift the engine w/o having to use a cherry picker. as for help, i suggest you smooth-talk some people on the board near your area to help you with your clutch, and donate all the money you save on the clutch replacement to the board. take a board member to dinner and he/she'll im sure will help you. i would. (considering i knew how to do it myself)

hello newbie to the board... may I humble suggest (while admittedly assuming) your skill level. That if you had time and patience to do this, some basic tools, and a friend or two that you'all could spend a day doing it and it end up fine and done correctly.

size of sockets that I remember needing to do it minimalistic style:

shallow and deep socket sizes: 10(S),11(?),12(S),14(S&D),16(?),17(S)mm's

IF you have the spare $ I'd also recomend the craftsman wabble sockets.

A jack to cradle the tranny and help with the tilting of it away from engine, etc.

I know for a fact that several of us could talk you thru this over the phone.... think of it as a "tech-help call line for subie maitnance" LOL