Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My pacifica blue 04 Forester (004028 miles) just got destroyed by hail. There isn't a straight piece of metal, the windshield is still in but totally busted and the rear DS window with the antenna is out. Pics to follow. That was 20 min ago and now the sun is shining.

byron

Ah damn, man...that really sucks. How big was the hail? The biggest i've ever seen wasn't even the size of a pea...but I live in Pennsylvania and we just get rain and snow :-/

Funny you say that. I thought we were getting a lot of hail in PA this year until I realized it was the lack of sound deadning material in the STi :lol:

Anyhow, really sorry to hear about it. I'm told insurance companies do more Dollars in Hail damage in the midwest than in accident damage.

Keith

For a second there I thought you were a colorado resident. My 90 legacy was pelted by one of the largest hail storms CO has ever seen, causing dimples in every piece of sheetmetal and over 1 billion dollars worth of damage state wide. I saw the first golf ball fall from the sky and proceeded to drive under the biggest try I could find. That was pretty much useless as it shredded the tree on top of the roof on the car. There was about 2 inches of hail on the ground and the saun was shinning not 5 minutes later. Oh yeah....then a tornado touched down not but a few miles from me and the sirens were going off so everyone was panicing. My AWD having self procceded to find shelter at the nearest carwash (washed off the tree as well) untill the threat blew over. Did I mention that I had just put a dent free hood from a donor car on my car THE DAY BEFORE!!

Call your insurance company. I didn't because I did not loose any windows and I payed less for the car then my deductible.

Hey, just keep in mind....

Paintless Dent Repair. Our company does PDR (separate techs from us glass guys) and I can tell you that as long as it is not too severe, they can usually get out 90+ % of the dents without any body work or painting.

If you are contacting your insurance, ask them about it as they are probably well aware of the process and are usually more than happy to work with it. I would be shocked it there isn't at least a company or 2 in your area.

By the way, hail damage falls under the Comprehensive part of your insurance policy just the same as glass damage. "Act of God"

That sux. This happened to my car last year from a freak hail storm. I was racing around trying to find a overhang of some sort. Did I mention how loud it was. I thought all was lost. My landscape was history, roof on house destroyed. I was pretty bummed. At first I thought that it wasn't worth going to the insurance company until I found out it wouldn't raise my rates. I got a lot of money out of it. Now to tell the truth I went and bought a Ding King and went to town. I didn't get 100% of the dings but I did get most of the larger ones. The hail didn't chip any paint. It just cracked my windshield. Now you have to have it in the light and look across the hood to tell it's there. Thank goodness I had AWD because I needed it to drive through the 2" of hail.

Charles

I have the pics but I didn't think to change the resolution on my camera. So most of my files are about 500k too big. I have no way to change the resolution here at work.

I don't think a ding king will work for me. I have several hundred DENTS. Most of them have spider web cracks in the paint. The plastic on my side mirrors was blasted off, the hail even knocked off my subie stars on my grill. I wounder if the insurance will total my car. I wanted the XT anyway.

byron

I have the pics but I didn't think to change the resolution on my camera. So most of my files are about 500k too big. I have no way to change the resolution here at work.

I don't think a ding king will work for me. I have several hundred DENTS. Most of them have spider web cracks in the paint. The plastic on my side mirrors was blasted off, the hail even knocked off my subie stars on my grill. I wounder if the insurance will total my car. I wanted the XT anyway.

byron

If they total it, try and buy it back...use it for offroading or something. :D

This is the last thing that I would have expected. Not more than a 15 min drive from here will bring me to the base of a small mountain range reaching 11,000 feet. The storm rolled over these mountains and then over the 8,000 foot peak right on the edge of town. This stuff happens where it is flat like Denver :) not here. My car got hammered for 15 min with 2" hail then a few baseball size in the end. The strange thing is there was no wind to speak of.Just enough to skew the angle of attack from all directions.

Anybody know what the insurance will do? I just paid my third payment last week.

byron

Anybody know what the insurance will do? I just paid my third payment last week.

byron

Not sure for your state, but in SC the law says that an owner had the right to take his car where ever he/she wants for repair. You just have to take the car to their appraiser and accept what they give you. It's up to the owner to get the best price from there. Rates do not go up for hail damage. At least the first time. I must admit that I got a 3rd the value of the car. Needless to say I knew the car was a keeper so I was not worried about trade in or sale value cause I don't plan on either. And my car is nowhere near that bad. Just call your insurance agent. I have state farm and they made the experience as least painful as possible. Good Luck.

That hurts just to look at! :eek:

Can you get the money for the totaled vehicle and keep it? Or do they give you the money and keep the car if they total it?

It would make an interesting platform to start building with and you wouldn't have to worry about body damage :lol:

Keep us updated on what your going to do!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

It would make an interesting platform to start building with and you wouldn't have to worry about body damage :lol:

Keep us updated on what your going to do!

Prolly go against the grain (cause its NA) and add on a supercharger and then some 33" swampers. Maybe paint it up to look like the anti-General Lee. I got a torch and a tig the possibilities are endless.

byron