Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:-\ 1992 Legacy wagon AT 230K

Girlfriend was backing out of driveway in a hurry today, cranked the wheel a bit too soon, caught the edge of the bumper cover on a thin metal pole, and tore the whole thing right off. All the holes the clips go into were broken, as well as the holes where screws come in from the fenders. Right now it is hanging on by one screw and a bungy cord.

Previously, the entire bumper was bent down slightly from a fender bender. So, I guess I should just replace the whole thing. Looking around on some parts sites it's anywhere from 3-400. Sound right? I remember a couple years ago an expensive body shop quoting me 1200 to replace it. Maybe be better off going to a junkyard?

Any idea how hard is it to take off and put back on? Looking around, it doesn't appear to be something I could really do myself. Most of the hardware access seems to necessitate removing other parts. Not to mention I possess very few tools or an area to work in!:-\

Driving around with a bungied bumper isn't appealing but if it costs more than a few hundred bucks...I may be outta luck!

I think this is the perfect excuse to make a "Mad Max" bumper and start your building adventure. After all it's not your fault the bumper got torn off. You just put a nice big off-road one in it's place for safety! :brow:

Built it!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

and if you are smart enough to be a lawyer you should be able to pull about 8 bolts. Do you have a friend who is a bit handy to help you? The only pain might be a rusty bolt.If you have the other one in front of you how to install it should be apparent. You are right if you think that the cheerful Maine state police will frown on your driving it like that, not to mention having to face inspection as frequesntly as you do. It is much better to have the other guy have a noticeable car.

and if you are smart enough to be a lawyer you should be able to pull about 8 bolts. Do you have a friend who is a bit handy to help you? The only pain might be a rusty bolt.If you have the other one in front of you how to install it should be apparent. You are right if you think that the cheerful Maine state police will frown on your driving it like that, not to mention having to face inspection as frequesntly as you do. It is much better to have the other guy have a noticeable car.

Yeah. I've started looking around/inquiring about used bumpers. Someone from Mississippi quoted me $150, but they didn't say what color or what shipping cost would be...which I'm assuming would be quite a bit!

I'm definitely going to give it a shot on my own, as soon as I can find a couple free hours and a space to do the work.

you might be able to reattach the cover so it does not look bad until you get up close.

This would do until you could find an inexpensive bumper or cover.

Cookie-

Basically, that's what I've done for now...you can't see the bungee cord b/c it is going from the tow hook underneath the car to the one that goes through the bumper cover. On there pretty snug.

I was thinking about just getting the bumper cover, but I figured since the bumper is bent down already from a prior bump, I should just replace the whole thing. The original bump happened at <5mph, so I'm hoping nothing beneath the bumper, i.e. whatever it attaches to, is warped in any way.