Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I too have a mouse

I pulled up the dangleing wires for the trailer hitch and moved the Trooper and it looks as though the varmits have moved! :-p

None of the traps inside the vehicle have been sprung. I put out a bunch of mouse bait in the garage and they took it! :eek:

I also found three drowned mice in my teter totter trap :banana:

It's war!

• 5 months later...

It's good to be reading this board again... decided to do a search on "mouse heater" and got lots of hits. This, after my heater fan started sounding like the telltale balloon in a kid's bike trick... 8-)

Just got through removing the fan, which was easy, and there was the little critter dead, but not decaying, yet. Thank goodness. Got it before it started to stink up the car.

I put some decon on the floor, but I think I'll stick a bar of Irish Spring in there later, as well. Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for this thread. -Rick

the one problem with d-con is- you do not know where the rodent will die, could be in a place you do not want it. a trap will get them right there. also be careful if you use d-con so that it is not available to other animals, pets, children or whatever. it has to be accesible only to the rodent to be safe.

The key with D-Con is to leave a saucer of water out near where you see their droppings/nest/etc. but "in the open" for a week before putting the D-Con down, and keep the saucer full. The D-Con makes them thirsty (it actually dessicates them from the inside out, and is a hideous way to have to die if you think about it) and they learn where the water is. You put the D-Con down a week later and keep the saucer there. They go to the water saucer out in the open, and keep drinking but of course die anyway, but they're in the open and easy to collect.

The key with D-Con is to leave a saucer of water out near where you see their droppings/nest/etc. but "in the open" for a week before putting the D-Con down, and keep the saucer full. The D-Con makes them thirsty (it actually dessicates them from the inside out, and is a hideous way to have to die if you think about it) and they learn where the water is. You put the D-Con down a week later and keep the saucer there. They go to the water saucer out in the open, and keep drinking but of course die anyway, but they're in the open and easy to collect.

Brian, by "in the open" do you mean inside the car on the floor somewhere, perhaps, or do you mean outside the car? Thanks, Rick