Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what shocks for a 98 2.5 RS?

I know the rear shocks in my car are toast. Looking for experience here!!!

Who has run what shocks and liked or disliked them???

Who recommends what shocks???

Before you ask I drive about 50% of the time like I'm a grandfather, 10% of the time like the average jerk on the road, and 40% like a crazed lunitic. I know I need to put stiffer sway bars on it, but right now the rear shocks are blown and I want to replace them with something that will last and make me happy.

I highly suggest you replace all four at once. Replacing just the fronts or the rears (especially just the rears) can put you into a situation where the car's balance/handling is thrown out of whack. I speak from experience. I put new struts on the rear and the fronts were relatively new, but a strut of lesser quality. The car was extremely tail happy and the rear end would break loose on turns.

With that said, I highly recommend KYB GR2 struts. They are an excellent compromise between a performance strut and good ride. They are about 20% stiffer then the stock setup, but by no means super stiff.

Replace all four, and you will be amazed in the transformation of your car.

I highly suggest you replace all four at once. Replacing just the fronts or the rears (especially just the rears) can put you into a situation where the car's balance/handling is thrown out of whack. I speak from experience. I put new struts on the rear and the fronts were relatively new, but a strut of lesser quality. The car was extremely tail happy and the rear end would break loose on turns.

Damn, I was thinking that may be the case. :(

With that said, I highly recommend KYB GR2 struts. They are an excellent compromise between a performance strut and good ride. They are about 20% stiffer then the stock setup, but by no means super stiff.

Replace all four, and you will be amazed in the transformation of your car.

Any idea where the best place is to get a set of those KYBs (inexpensive?)?

I just dropped almost $500 for new tires and an alignment.

Thanks... it's obvious everyone loves the KYB GR-2s. Tire rack has the best price I've seen so far... but I'm going to try to get summit to price match to tirerack since they ship for $9 and won't charge me tax. :)

Thanks everyone.