Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

tire question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dptyrob

dptyrob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Waynesville, NC

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:57 PM

Well, I goofed. I bought some tires off of ebay for our 90 Loyale wagon. I had looked some up on the tire rack and it listed the stock tire was 185/70/13. Apparently I got dislexic when I bought this set of 175/80/13's. Anyone have any idea of what I can expect with my speedometer reading and/or tire rubbing if I use these tires? The tires that are on it right now are 175/70/13's, and these 175/80/13's are noticeably taller.

#2 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:17 PM

Well, I goofed. I bought some tires off of ebay for our 90 Loyale wagon. I had looked some up on the tire rack and it listed the stock tire was 185/70/13. Apparently I got dislexic when I bought this set of 175/80/13's. Anyone have any idea of what I can expect with my speedometer reading and/or tire rubbing if I use these tires? The tires that are on it right now are 175/70/13's, and these 175/80/13's are noticeably taller.

The middle number is your width..and the lower the number the wider the tire..the 80s will be fine..they are just a little narrower than what you are running right now. I always run 175/70/13 on all three of my Subs I had.

#3 dptyrob

dptyrob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Waynesville, NC

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:21 PM

The middle number is your width..and the lower the number the wider the tire..the 80s will be fine..they are just a little narrower than what you are running right now. I always run 175/70/13 on all three of my Subs I had.

Good deal. Maybe the reason these look taller is because they're not mounted. So the lower the middle number, the wider?

#4 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:22 PM

175/70 R13 is 22.6 in tall and the ones you bought are 24 in tall. The width is the same. They will still fit and should not rub.

Here is a tire calculator http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

#5 dptyrob

dptyrob

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Waynesville, NC

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

175/70 R13 is 22.6 in tall and the ones you bought are 24 in tall. The width is the same. They will still fit and should not rub.

Here is a tire calculator http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. Looks like I'm looking at throwing it by just over 4 mph @ 70 mph. If I did my math right, it looks like it will be reading 65.73 @ 70.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,390 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 07 October 2004 - 06:42 PM

I think what was stated about the middle number is incorrect. Using the size 175/70/13 for instance. The 70 represents a ratio for the sidewall, or 'profile' of the tire. The lower the number, the smaller the distance between the outside of the rim and the tread of the tire. So a 175/60/13 will be smaller viewed from the side. A lower profile will give better stability. Here is a description I copied that tells what the numbers mean.

The following is an example to help to decode a tire size like 185/65R14
185 = tire width in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall
65 = sidewall ratio, the ratio of sidewall height to tire width
14 = wheel rim diameter in inches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users