Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tire question

Well, I goofed. I bought some tires off of ebay for our 90 Loyale wagon. I had looked some up on the tire rack and it listed the stock tire was 185/70/13. Apparently I got dislexic when I bought this set of 175/80/13's. Anyone have any idea of what I can expect with my speedometer reading and/or tire rubbing if I use these tires? The tires that are on it right now are 175/70/13's, and these 175/80/13's are noticeably taller.

Well, I goofed. I bought some tires off of ebay for our 90 Loyale wagon. I had looked some up on the tire rack and it listed the stock tire was 185/70/13. Apparently I got dislexic when I bought this set of 175/80/13's. Anyone have any idea of what I can expect with my speedometer reading and/or tire rubbing if I use these tires? The tires that are on it right now are 175/70/13's, and these 175/80/13's are noticeably taller.

The middle number is your width..and the lower the number the wider the tire..the 80s will be fine..they are just a little narrower than what you are running right now. I always run 175/70/13 on all three of my Subs I had.

The middle number is your width..and the lower the number the wider the tire..the 80s will be fine..they are just a little narrower than what you are running right now. I always run 175/70/13 on all three of my Subs I had.

Good deal. Maybe the reason these look taller is because they're not mounted. So the lower the middle number, the wider?

175/70 R13 is 22.6 in tall and the ones you bought are 24 in tall. The width is the same. They will still fit and should not rub.

Here is a tire calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. Looks like I'm looking at throwing it by just over 4 mph @ 70 mph. If I did my math right, it looks like it will be reading 65.73 @ 70.

I think what was stated about the middle number is incorrect. Using the size 175/70/13 for instance. The 70 represents a ratio for the sidewall, or 'profile' of the tire. The lower the number, the smaller the distance between the outside of the rim and the tread of the tire. So a 175/60/13 will be smaller viewed from the side. A lower profile will give better stability. Here is a description I copied that tells what the numbers mean.

The following is an example to help to decode a tire size like 185/65R14

185 = tire width in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall

65 = sidewall ratio, the ratio of sidewall height to tire width

14 = wheel rim diameter in inches