Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No spark...

No, power to both sides is good, it means that power is flowing through the coil, as it's suppose to. I would do as stated above, and check to see if you have a pulse when you put the test light on the neg side of the coil. If it doesn't pulse then check the distibutor, thats a pre-87 so it's going to have a standard pickup coil and module in it, and the modules tend to go out after a while..

like adam said it grounds and releases the neg side of the coil to make spark happen. the distributor is responsible for this. I am not shure about yours but mine has a transistor on the coil bracket to actually drive the coil. that should be checked as well if you have one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

First, thank you to those who replied with ideas concerning this issue.

I was off on my month/year. The three-door GL that I am having these issues with is a 06/84.

I went back to the vehicle here the other day, and it started right up for some reason. So something with the ignition system is intermittent. I have not messed with the vehicle for a couple weeks here now, started it up yesterday, and ran it hard out behind my shop for a while; second gear, low-range, high-revs, getting it good and warm, and it simply would not quit. Everything worked. Started it up this morning, ran it to the fuel station and filled it, ran it back to the shop, and then went for a ride. Got about eight miles from my place, and it dies, and will not start. Cranks fine, everything else works, no blown fuses, etc. just will not start. Had purchased a new coil and had that with, so I tried that, no go. Went back to the car an hour or so later, and it fired right up, and I drove it back to the shop. Is there an ignition module someplace inside the engine bay/distributor, or ? that could be giving me this scenario, or some other component? Does anyone have any ideas?

Has anything similar to this happen?

Thanks for all of the help!

-Steve